Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching and talking with Joey at TE, Jim at Rosewood, Cody at PHP, this is the setup I'm fairly sure I'm going to go with:

DIY RR - Completed
intake/exhaust - Completed.
banks intercooler - Completed.
stage 1 singles - Shopping
modded 17* - Need to ship the HPOP
someones tunes - (PHP/DP/Beans/Swamps...who knows)
38r / uppipes - (haven't heard back, hope the deal is still on)
4.10s -(running 35s now)
JW VB - (need to order)

The end result is a DD Excursion that will tow and EGTs won't be an issue. Any other opnions?

Disclaimer: This build isn't for HP; there are reasons why I've been recommended the stage I singles intead of splits / Stage II singles. Hybrids aren't considered because they are twice the cost of singles; the point of not having to upgrade injectors later on is noted but not applicable in this case....

Big thanks to Jim, Joey and Cody for answering all of my questions!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The list looks good....I would do the gears last to see if you really need them pending where, how much you tow and program files you may not require the 4:10s.
I went the opposite 4:10->3:55s running 35s as I couldn't stand the lower gears in sig ride....mind you mine is a DD with minimal towing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't still have those gears, do you? ;)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'd go with 146/175 from swamps along with.there tunes.to go with the imjectors

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I personally would go with stage ones from Unlimited and Matt's tunes. The combo is awesome. Matt's tunes are so good and stay cool so you would have no EGT issues and VERY little smoke if any.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would get a good converter before the gears. Other than that it looks like a nice combo.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have been more specific with the injectors. I've had some tuners say that 160cc w/ 30% nozzles are they way to go for towing. They would produce the most flat torque graph and easy to keep the EGTs in check. Any other tuners have input to this? Jim from rosewood said he can make 160cc w/ 30% nozzles....really leaning towards this config.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
160cc's for sure but stock nozzles vs 30%'s not sure how much difference it would make. I'm running 160cc with 100% and it makes a big difference and I still have decient mileage. I've tried multiple tuners with my set up and all I have to say is use a tuner that has exsperience with your injectors other wise you wont be happy. At least 160cc with stock tip is pretty common not sure about the 30%'s.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do u tow with them? how are your EGTs?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have only towed 5000 lb trailer and it was fine no issues. Shure you can make anything hot but keep the rpms up and it will pretty much do what you need. After having this set-up I'll be going bigger later and still not worry about heat.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
After researching and talking with Joey at TE, Jim at Rosewood, Cody at PHP, this is the setup I'm fairly sure I'm going to go with:

DIY RR - Completed
intake/exhaust - Completed.
banks intercooler - Completed.
stage 1 singles - Shopping
modded 17* - Need to ship the HPOP
someones tunes - (PHP/DP/Beans/Swamps...who knows)
38r / uppipes - (haven't heard back, hope the deal is still on)
4.10s -(running 35s now)
JW VB - (need to order)

The end result is a DD Excursion that will tow and EGTs won't be an issue. Any other opnions?

Disclaimer: This build isn't for HP; there are reasons why I've been recommended the stage I singles intead of splits / Stage II singles. Hybrids aren't considered because they are twice the cost of singles; the point of not having to upgrade injectors later on is noted but not applicable in this case....

Big thanks to Jim, Joey and Cody for answering all of my questions!
Hey Aric, you might want to consult with Jody at DP Tuner as well. His test vehicle happens to be an Excursion, so he might have some great insight on your needs.

Also, I agree with JCart on the gears. Get the mods done first.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Well if you need additional cooling when towing you could add water down the line.
Denis at itp sells jw vb, dp chips, gauges which I assume you have.
Also iirc tarm runs an excursion I am sure he can help too.
With all that you will have a whole new truck.

Only thing i'd add depends on how hwqavy you tow...ie better brakes rear antisway bar, rear air bags etc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i can tow in my hot tune and not have any issues with my set up in sig, its all in the tuning. anything from 5k to 15k, tranny on the other hand, prolly gunna need a better one befor long...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
....forgot to add you prob want to look at
A v10 trans cooler or adding a dieselsite trucool, or a 6.0 cooler is you have the extra cash.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I should have been more specific with the injectors. I've had some tuners say that 160cc w/ 30% nozzles are they way to go for towing. They would produce the most flat torque graph and easy to keep the EGTs in check. Any other tuners have input to this? Jim from rosewood said he can make 160cc w/ 30% nozzles....really leaning towards this config.
I would also l ike to know the cost vs benefit on those nozzles. I have thought about nozzles in the past.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn it. So what about 200cc hyrbids with 30% nozzles? I've had tuners tell me that hybrids are easier to control than single shots...and with rosewoods prices it really isn't that much more...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Are you sure about that? I have not seen many split shot Hybrids....:poke:

Damn it. So what about 200cc hyrbids with 30% nozzles? I've had tuners tell me that hybrids are easier to control than single shots...and with rosewoods prices it really isn't that much more...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts