Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just getting my trans rebuilt and I'm trying to find a good trans fluid to put back in so I thought I'd ask the community. Lemme know what I should get that's a good price and does the job. Any difference in temperature and something good for higher horsepower and abuse. Also a good cost because we all know how much it takes to fill these back up. Thanks

·
n00blet
145 Posts
I spent the money and flushed my trans with Redline D4. It was locally available and priced well. I'm a big fan of Amsoil and Redline fluids.

Edit : I should add, that it shifts much better now that when I purchased the truck.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I run amsoil and very happy with it. Not sure what was in the truck before but picked about 1.5mpg after I did my flush and went to amsoil. Alot of guys say run Schieffer, we had some bad results from oil analysis on equipment we used it in at work so I satay away from it now. May have just been a bad batch or something I dont know, but that equipment wasnt near as crutial at a trans.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks guys. I'll stick with amsoil. I've heard good about it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run amsoil and very happy with it. Not sure what was in the truck before but picked about 1.5mpg after I did my flush and went to amsoil. Alot of guys say run Schieffer, we had some bad results from oil analysis on equipment we used it in at work so I satay away from it now. May have just been a bad batch or something I dont know, but that equipment wasnt near as crutial at a trans.
fords use the blue lid amsoil correct. it says its for mercon LV and SP so im just making sure. dont want to put the wrong stuff in my new transmission. thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
NO, red lid. on there sight go to my garage and put in the info for your truck. It will give you a list of all fluids to use in your truck. your truck has Mercron V, not LV or SP

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See that's why I asked. Synthetic torque drive stuff.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'll look at the bottle when I get off work but believe I went with the signature series synthetic

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. i found that stuff. and that saves me about $20 over the wrong blue stuff too. that'll be good since i dont tow heavy all the time.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not finding a different fluid for the transfer case and the amsoil my garage tell me to use the same fluid as the transmission. so how much do i need to do both the transfer case and the transmission, and do they fill and empty from the same places? thanks. i wish amsoil had a spot that told how much the vehicle takes.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
brian at bts recommends schaeffers all trans so thats what i use. if the guy who builds the baddest 4r on the planets recommends it has to be good

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much do you need for both the transfer case and transmission?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts