Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No NOT A CUMMINS! LOL

Seriously I am debating putting an auto behind a built motor and need some opinions and thoughts. If I do go this route is the 4r100 really the best route? (Forget about costs for a moment.....) What about a 47RE/48RE? What about an Allison? I plan on putting a hurting on whatever slushbox I choose and everyone one of these option have thier own unique issues. Throw out some ideas......

:evil

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
iv heard some horror stories of beatins on those BTS 4r100 trans and they could take it. Supposed to be the real deal. Just what i heard, im sure plenty of guys will jump in that actually know something though. And you scared me for a second with that dark side talk, i was just thinking "why would somone who knows so much and does so much with the 7.3 just abondand us!?" LOL

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
BTS... ask Kai and Greg...

·
Body Type: MULE
2,012 Posts
iv heard some horror stories of beatins on those BTS 4r100 trans and they could take it. Supposed to be the real deal. Just what i heard, im sure plenty of guys will jump in that actually know something though. And you scared me for a second with that dark side talk, i was just thinking "why would somone who knows so much and does so much with the 7.3 just abondand us!?" LOL
fwiw. An Allison will hold substantial power--- best part about it is they are one the simplest transmissions to build. You can almost literally build one on a kitchen table.... Figured you would know that being you already have an Allison...

·
2,012 Posts
Dockboy doesn't air all his dirty laundry on the forums but maybe he will chime on on how many trans failures he has had...

·
2,012 Posts
There seems to be WAY more 6.6l common rail engines making 600+ with $3000 built it yourself trucks running around without issues. And a good handful of them in the 700-800 range.

These are just my opinions don't get all bent put of shape I'm not biased reason I. Can think beyond a 4r100. I've owned all three and all three had there up and downs.

Easiest one to get parts for and build would be a Allison

IMO

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Dockboy doesn't air all his dirty laundry on the forums but maybe he will chime on on how many trans failures he has had...
I know dockboy aka Greg personally. I know of the trans failures he has had and the warranty after the 2 year time period he has had with his transmission.

Add Jason aka Thuglike to the list I had earlier.

While I don't have 756 hp, my BTS is has held up great... sled pulling/drag racing etc...

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
Jason I have a c6 sitting here....

·
2,012 Posts
I know dockboy aka Greg personally. I know of the trans failures he has had and the warranty after the 2 year time period he has had with his transmission.

Add Jason aka Thuglike to the list I had earlier.

While I don't have 756 hp, my BTS is has held up great... sled pulling/drag racing etc...
Hey that's great! I was merely stating that the thing is not bullet proof. BUT close lol. Even dockboy has dockboy'ed the bts

Fwiw if I still owned a vehicle with a 4r100 it would more than likely be bts'ed

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the real reason I started this thread. I know if I was to go the 4r100 route, BTS is the only way to go. I hear so many good things about them from everyone that there is just no way I could go wrong.

But Allisons are "cheap" to build, and I have a couple of good suppliers that could help me out I think.

I have also been told that the Dodge tranny's can be built to hold the most power.

Personally I think I would have the best support from either a BTS 4r100, or an Allison. I just don't know, and am kinda throwing it all out there just to get the feelings of everyone. I did figure that that 4r100 would be the favorite choice for many on here, the most experience is with that transmission and BTS builds one stout beast. It is also the easiest to actually bolt the the engine - but I never do anything the easy way.

·
Smarty Power!
2,567 Posts
I thought Allisons were expensive as hell to build, but I don't know.

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
Buck Spruill is a man who is never satisfied. That might explain why he's taken a regular '03 Chevrolet 2500HD with a 300hp, 6.6L Duramax diesel engine, and transformed it into the 1,300-horsepower monster you see on these pages. The road has been long and hard, and he's broken numerous parts along the way, including 40 (that's four-zero) Allison transmissions!
I think I would stay away from Allisons... This was from his Diesel Power article. I know that EDP broke their Allison a few times last year in their Dmax pullin truck aswell...

·
2,012 Posts
I thought Allisons were expensive as hell to build, but I don't know.
Depends on what way you go------It can actually be cheaper than a BTS. And actually ALOT cheaper if you build it yourself....which is mostly unheard of with the 4r100. There are a HUGE number of people that cant even fathom pulling there engine yet they managed to build there own transmission.

I think I would stay away from Allisons... This was from his Diesel Power article. I know that EDP broke their Allison a few times last year in their Dmax pullin truck aswell...
Im not in any way shape of FORM trying to start a fight here but the facts are is there a FAR more 600+ CR engines running around then HEUI engines. So if you take this to the next level of statistics.....there are going to be more BROKEN allisons and 48RE's.

From my experience, I would stay away from the 48RE. Since were just all spit-balling........I broke a 48RE almost literally in half on my old 03 cummins. My old 06 cummins tried to destroy the TC with stock power. And yes it had a 48RE not a 47RE. The case snapped in two. Surprisingly enough-----at the time----I sent it to the dealership (the 03) being I was out of town and about to trade it on the 06. They covered the damn thing under warranty LOL. I was completely shocked and was ready to pay, but non-the-less.

Good luck on your choice Jason, BUT FWIW look at the statistics--and a 1000hp dmax cannot be accounted for on realiablity. Im sure you would have the upmost and ontime support from BTS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are you just wanting a fun street truck or would you plan on pulling with it?
I broke 2 forward drums before getting the billet drum.

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
Im not in any way shape of FORM trying to start a fight here but the facts are is there a FAR more 600+ CR engines running around then HEUI engines. So if you take this to the next level of statistics.....there are going to be more BROKEN allisons and 48RE's.

From my experience, I would stay away from the 48RE. Since were just all spit-balling........I broke a 48RE almost literally in half on my old 03 cummins. My old 06 cummins tried to destroy the TC with stock power. And yes it had a 48RE not a 47RE. The case snapped in two. Surprisingly enough-----at the time----I sent it to the dealership (the 03) being I was out of town and about to trade it on the 06. They covered the damn thing under warranty LOL. I was completely shocked and was ready to pay, but non-the-less.

Good luck on your choice Jason, BUT FWIW look at the statistics--and a 1000hp dmax cannot be accounted for on realiablity. Im sure you would have the upmost and ontime support from BTS.
I was just using that truck as an example. If he himself broke 40 Allisons, something isn't right. You would think that he would get 1 or 2 to hold the power.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts