Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fasthog.com
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So give me some honest hands on techinical proof this is a bad idea.. I don't care fo rhe long interval changes and to be honest never notice a damn thing over my past two trucks that it ran any better or worse with oils. I have Amsoil syn in it now and its noicy as could be which I don't mind but, just like any oil change is it runs best when its new. So changing oil every 3-5k miles will always give me that and help clean stuff out rather than going 8-10+k miles on syn and having the last half of the run be loud. Be a lot cheaper and I can get very easy whenever I need to instead of chasing down amsoil. Before I got truck was told they ran mobile 1300 Delvac. Only did 8K on amsoil and I need to change it I have been towing and plowing and its winter so I like to do more often.

So input please?!

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
So give me some honest hands on techinical proof this is a bad idea.. I don't care fo rhe long interval changes and to be honest never notice a damn thing over my past two trucks that it ran any better or worse with oils. I have Amsoil syn in it now and its noicy as could be which I don't mind but, just like any oil change is it runs best when its new. So changing oil every 3-5k miles will always give me that and help clean stuff out rather than going 8-10+k miles on syn and having the last half of the run be loud. Be a lot cheaper and I can get very easy whenever I need to instead of chasing down amsoil. Before I got truck was told they ran mobile 1300 Delvac. Only did 8K on amsoil and I need to change it I have been towing and plowing and its winter so I like to do more often.

So input please?!
The first thing that comes to mind is cold starts. If you truck is garage kept then no big deal. A 5W-40 oil flows as a 5 weight oil when cold, a 15W-40 flows as a 15 weight oil when cold. Both will flow as a 40 weight oil when up to operating temp. So if you have cold start issues then a 5W-40 would be better than a 15W-40 during the winter months. I have not seen enough UOA reports on the 6.4L to make a recommendation on oil for the 6.4L Powerstroke. But a quick search on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com might get you your answer.

edit: Here is a better link to the diesel oil forum:

Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) - Diesel/Gas Pickups/Trucks/Vans - Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ran the regular rotella and had no problems. When I would do an oil change at 5,000 miles the truck would run alot better. I switched to the rotella synthetic and it seemed to start and run alot better and even get a little better milage ( better than a fresh regular oil change). I still change the synthetic oil at 5,000 miles. The synthetic oil change doesnt seem to make as big of differance as the regular oil change did. So I would say the sythetic is a better oil. at $20 a gallon, I'll stick with the rotella brand.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i noticed when i switced to syn. from dino that the oil went black with in a couple hundred mile. is the syn just cleaning out the engine? also seen a very noticeable cold weather starts improvement.

I

·
0 Posts

So input please?!

I use Motorcraft HD 10W30 in the winter and Motorcraft 15W40 in the spring summer here in Maine and my 6.0 loves it.. I change it at no more than 4K.. The oil is cheap and easy to get (Wal-Mart).. I know what your saying, I don't think it's worth useing the syn oil.. I just go by my manual and it has served me well..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Moroney167, u might not see the difference in how the truck runs like these others. u have a 6.4, they have 7.3's and 6.0's that use the oil to drive the injectors and shear the oil down..

also, without UOA, i wouldn't run extended interval on any oil.

·
Registered
378 Posts

So input please?!

If finding the synthetic is a big issue, just run Rotella T6 from Wal-Mart....it'll be better than regualar Rotella for your motor...

:postwhore2:

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts

So input please?!
I don't think it is an aweful idea. Your a common rail so obv. you don't need oil to fire the injectors. My CR cummins had no problem starting in a New England winter with 15w40 in the crank case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok here's my .02 I have a 7.3 with 158K on it . I have used Motorcraft,Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic.
Motor was pulled at 142K for bad front cover so my motor was flushed with new oil every 2k for 6K and changed every 5k after that.

Rotella 15/40 makes the motor run sluggish and impossible to start in the winter even plugged in and Romps like hell. I just dont like it .
Motorcraft15/40 seems to start fine even cold but the engine "sound" is at it's best and just sounds strong to me
Valvoline 5/40 synthetic I hate . The engine smokes like crazy when it's cold and the smoke is like a mist you can't get off you. The engine sounds like a ticking BOMB . I will never put synthetic back in my motor.
I will run and change my Motorcraft 15/40 every 5K until I get rid of it.
We all know when our engines sound best. I would get that oil outta there . Just my thoughts and give Motorcraft a try .

·
Registered
502 Posts
rotella has a 5-40 t6
Yes, I have run the rotella 5w40, the Valvoline preimium blue, and I am back to rotella, and staying, seen no diff myself, found some Delo on clearance at wally world for $8.00 gallon, gonna run that til i run out, bought the whole shelf about 15 gallons.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes, I have run the rotella 5w40, the Valvoline preimium blue, and I am back to rotella, and staying, seen no diff myself, found some Delo on clearance at wally world for $8.00 gallon, gonna run that til i run out, bought the whole shelf about 15 gallons.
Delo, is a good oil ran that in my 97 7.3L...I'm running the valvoline 5w40 synthetic now..idle is rough and motor sounds louder..IMO

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
ok here's my .02 I have a 7.3 with 158K on it . I have used Motorcraft,Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic.
Motor was pulled at 142K for bad front cover so my motor was flushed with new oil every 2k for 6K and changed every 5k after that.

Rotella 15/40 makes the motor run sluggish and impossible to start in the winter even plugged in and Romps like hell. I just dont like it .
Motorcraft15/40 seems to start fine even cold but the engine "sound" is at it's best and just sounds strong to me
Valvoline 5/40 synthetic I hate . The engine smokes like crazy when it's cold and the smoke is like a mist you can't get off you. The engine sounds like a ticking BOMB . I will never put synthetic back in my motor.
I will run and change my Motorcraft 15/40 every 5K until I get rid of it.
We all know when our engines sound best. I would get that oil outta there . Just my thoughts and give Motorcraft a try .
I personally wouldnt go back from the valvoline sythetic if you paid me, but to each their own.

As for smoking I think you've got some motor issues if its smoking when running the synthetic....

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I dought he has motor issues...my 7.3L has more blow by via my ccv mod, when I use 5W-40 compared to 15W-40... But on those cold winter mornings my 7.3L pumps out white smoke like crazy for about 15sec... I also just had a compression check last summer... all 8 cyl were still in good range... So your right------->Too Each Their Own!!

Choosing motor oil is like choosing the right-->
1. Beer
2. Pizza
3. Toothpaste
4. Shampoo
5. Yard Fertilizer
I could go on for along time!!!

Everyones motor is different... Not one will react the same as everyone elses...Nor does everyones ears hear the same thing... You and only You can judge for yourself how your motor reacts to certain oils... If you still dought what your ears and butt--->Hears and Feels... Have a UOA done...

Just because someones motor does not react the same as yours with the same oil poured in it, doesn't mean something is wrong with the motor or his hearing or the owner... Everyone has an opinion just be carefull how you share it...

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I still say to each their own on what they run AND

If your motor is smoking from using a different oil somethings not right.

Ive got over 310,000 miles on my psd and unless Ive got it in 80hp tune or higher and Im playing it NEVER smokes.

So if its smoking, something night right.

White smoke on a cold morning is probably not oil smoke in the first place.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Pts well taken: But if I {Read}his post right? He states---->"The engine smokes like crazy when it's cold and the smoke is like a mist you can't get off you" I assume it is white smoke, which can look like a mist? Hmmm! So I also assume that is somewhat normal, since I have read many-many posts from other owners PSD doing the same thing, if they are parked outside in the cold over night... I drawen my own cunclusion others can assume theirs... He never did say---> That it smokes all the time? Only on cold mornings... Maybe he will visit this thread again and share this information...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts