Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heading out to the trackthis friday in the 2011 f250. so i've lined up a few time at the track before but in the nova. although i have never lined up against or have lined up with a turbo application. i know i have to build boost but i have a few questions to help me get a lil better.

the only mod to the truck is the idp torq2 set to about 75% cranked
20" stock wheels

first off when both are turbo applications which driver benefits for lining up first or second??

should i launch in 4x4 and around how much boost??
if 4x4 should i leave it all the way through??
air pressure??
advance trac off and in tow/haul mode fore sure
how bout the trans?? im thinking in the d position with up to 4 gears only??
will 4 gears be enough for the 8th??
any other things i should consider??

i just want a ballpark idea of what i should do as this is my first time down the track with the truck. thanks in advance

i also posted this in the drag racing forum but figured id get more views here

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if the factory ECU will let you brake boost.

Do you have the locking rear diff? If so, lock it.

They probably have a traction enhancer on the surface, can't remember the name of it. If so, launch in RWD. You only want to launch in 4x4 when traction is an issue. If your rears slip excessively then launch in 4x4.

Launch at 30 psi if it'll let you, lol.

When I'm launching, I put the brakes down about half way, foot most of the way to the floor, and get off the brake when it starts to tear loose.

My best time so far is 13.9 in the quarter mile with a bad launch.

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Ok... Not tryin to hate... But I disagree with a lot of what was just said on launching.... I've made countless passes in turbo diesels at the track.... Here's what I do

Yes you can launch stock the torque management will just defuel some off the line.

DO NOT pull the e locker if u have it... That would be a great way to tear up something in your rear diff...

Bump the first yellow light, then wait fr the next guy to bump, then you start staging your boost where you want to launch at and hold the throttle steady as possible, bump next light and wait for opponent to if they haven't already and keep your eyes on the tree! Hold the brakes just hard enough to not let it pull you past the line while boosted. I launch around 1800 rpms above that seems to not launch as well usually spins some.

In our trucks it's impossible to launch in 2wd without slicks... You would spins 1/2-3/4 track..

G

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Good luck and let us know how ya do!

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Definately do 4x4 like 6lstrokin said. No way in hell you could boost to 30psi and get a good time, brakes probably wont hold anyways. If you do a rear lock, you are still going to spin, and prolly paint the wall whatever color your truck is. Not many diesels are going to let you launch in 4x2 due to the weight of the motor and lack in the rear without some serious suspension/traction mods.

Edit: You will run 4x4 all the way down, it doesnt matter if you try to unlock it from 10 ft after you take off or at the end it isnt going to unlock until the pressure is off of the hubs and transfer case so wait till you slow down at the end and turn it off before turning to exit the track

·
Registered
442 Posts
When you turn traction control off don't just hit the button, if you just hit the button it will turn traction control off, but if you hole the button for like 5 seconds or so it will turn advance trac off.

·
Registered
444 Posts
WTF advance track? whats the difference and how would i know it is turned off as well? Thankx...

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
It will pop up on the dash advanced trac is off.... Just like it does on it's own if you put it in 4x4 low

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well before heading out to the track took my lil girl to sitters and started feeling this trans delay from the torq2 so i turned it down to about 50% or less. i could tell that it was better shifting than at 75% cause it stopped acting up. while in route to the track we start to mess around on the highway and long and behold my truck would not shift and loses power, it would not regain anything so i had to pull over. turned it off for a minute and the restarted, the engine light was on, started getting on the freeway and BAM again no power, damn so here i go pulling off to the side and disconnecting the damn thing. it didnt act up anymore for the rest of the night.

First time i went to line up got told i needed to clean the back of the bed, well i already had when i got there but i guess the 3-4 small pebbles were good enough for that call, if they didnt fall out on the way up there they wernt going to fall down the track, but oh well better to be safe than sorry.

i ended up doing 1 run only that night in stock form and this is what it was

10.29 @68.81
reaction .4291

1 - 10 of 10 Posts