Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm in the right area. Newbie here. Been using all the info I can find. Decided it's time to ask the experts outright! My first diesel and it's a 7.3 02 Super Duty. Won't start cold. Blows excessive white smoke on take off. Has oil in the coolant, but doesn't use water or oil. Changed glow plugs, wiring gaskets, ICP sensor(when it through a code for it.) Block heater plugged in and 60 degrees outside. Once it starts, it will do over 90 in a quarter mile. And being the proud owner of my first Ford diesel, no other diesel has EVER beat it off the red light! I am going crazy. Got the truck a year and a half ago. Used to start by being plugged in. Now that doesn't even help. Last owner was told by Ford it was glow plugs. It wasn't! Tried the Cam sensor. Found out what it would run like with a bad cheap POS in it! Put the old one back in. HELP please!!!

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Hope I'm in the right area. Newbie here. Been using all the info I can find. Decided it's time to ask the experts outright! My first diesel and it's a 7.3 02 Super Duty. Won't start cold. Blows excessive white smoke on take off. Has oil in the coolant, but doesn't use water or oil. Changed glow plugs, wiring gaskets, ICP sensor(when it through a code for it.) Block heater plugged in and 60 degrees outside. Once it starts, it will do over 90 in a quarter mile. And being the proud owner of my first Ford diesel, no other diesel has EVER beat it off the red light! I am going crazy. Got the truck a year and a half ago. Used to start by being plugged in. Now that doesn't even help. Last owner was told by Ford it was glow plugs. It wasn't! Tried the Cam sensor. Found out what it would run like with a bad cheap POS in it! Put the old one back in. HELP please!!!
not sure how many miles are on it...but the 'won't start unless plugged in' is a sign the injectors are worn.

here's more diagnostics

http://swampsdiesel.com/files/7.3LInjectorDiagnostic.pdf

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's the way mine acted with 5 of 8 injectors malfunctioning. :rolleyes:

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Pull your injectors and send them to Rosewood for a freshen up. $600-$1200 depending on their needs.

I did it to my father in laws 01' with 196,000 on it. Made a world of difference and it was only $600. Never know what needs replaced.

·
Kris
236 Posts
If you think it's fast with worn out injectors you should see it with new ones..

Sounds like injector cups are bad if you have oil mixing with coolant, when you replace injectors it's a good idea to do the cups, valve cover harnesses, and Glowplugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts