Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, need some advice. I installed new T500, Sinister RR, and FFD 238/100's. Install went smooth and no leaks. Initial start up was as expected and seemed to idle well before buttoning up the valve covers. After driving, it had a really rough idle. It only idles really rough after warm up and/or a WOT run. Runs like a raped ape if I mash the skinny pedal, but every time I come to a stop it idles like it wants to die. Over 200 miles so far and been pissed for about 150 of them. I emailed DP and Justin replied he thought maybe ICP or O-ring on injector. Since injectors are just installed from FFD, I suspected the ICP sensor. It did have a small amount of oil in the connection and exposed wires on the connector. I replaced the sensor and the pigtail yesterday and got raped by the stealership for both parts...209.00 ICP, 94.00 pigtail. Installed both and the idle is WAAAY worse and now I get a P-1210 code as soon as key is turned and it idles like absolute crap. Help me out here guys... I was hoping all this would help the truck not make it worse. No AE to run diagnostics, but may meet up with another member here in town next week to use his. Truck ran fine with existing sensors and now has new ICP.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
my guess would be the pump...he did a moded 17* for me that did the same thing...really need to run some test....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron! I sure hope it's not the pump.... Aren't they supposed to test them before sending them out??

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Did you get tuning adjusted for the new injectors? You sure that your connections are good on the new pigtail?
Unplug the ICP and see how it does.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jody sent me new tunes, but I'll hook the laptop up again just to make sure they downloaded right. Connections on the new pigtail seem good. I'll go out and unplug the new ICP and see if anything changes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI BRUCE, AE HAS BEEN ORDERED AND WAITING FOR DELIVERY. Guess I should have said that to avoid smart ass comments. Trying to figure it out in the mean time since it runs like crap right now.
Unplugged new ICP and no change. Getting 1280,1210, and 1211

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
did you put a straight edge on the injectors to make sure all were seated properly? does it white or blue smoke? its gonna be tough to do anything without some diagnostic exquipment, even the torque app would suffice.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the straight edge thing on the passenger side today. It does smoke quite a bit on the first cold start of the morning (below 30deg) and smokes quite a bit until it warms up. I had replaced the drivers side UVCH a few month back, so I thought maybe there was a chance the passenger side goofed up after the injector swap. Swapped in the new one I had and started without the valve cover on, no difference. I guess I could pull driver side valve cover tomorrow and check with straight edge, but I'm pretty confident they are seated correctly.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Did you change the o-rings on the IPR when you installed the HPOP? And make sure it stayed CLEAN while it was out. Even rag lint can wreak havoc...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HMMM, I did NOT change the O-rings on the IPR, didn't even consider it really. It was clean, but don't recall looking at O-rings closely. If I have to dig back in there that far, would it be better to just change the whole thing or just do O-rings? Original one has 185k on it

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
HMMM, I did NOT change the O-rings on the IPR
this right here... Id never replace the IPR with old orings on it. I have an oring kit or 2 in the shop all the time. put some lube on them before you reinstall as damage often occurs on reinstallation.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
HMMM, I did NOT change the O-rings on the IPR, didn't even consider it really. It was clean, but don't recall looking at O-rings closely. If I have to dig back in there that far, would it be better to just change the whole thing or just do O-rings? Original one has 185k on it
Definitely need to replace those o-rings. I'd hit up Dieselsite and get on of their rebuilt ipr's for $75 being that you have that many miles. Might not fix you, but will need to be replaced in due time anyway.
Would help if we knew your ICP's and IPR values.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys, got some numbers....at idle my ICP is 3719.69 and duty cycle is 9.37 and ICP volts is 4.61. Did a buzz test and everything seemed to sound the same. Did cylinder contribution test and #8 came up with a balance/fault??? Is IPR bad?? and cylinder #8 injector leaking at o-ring?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, at idle.... which would explain the 1210 and 1211 code. That was after clearing the codes. With the CEL on ICP was 724psi 17% duty cycle and 4.64v. I haven't pulled the chip, I didn't think it would run with the 238's without a chip??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so I guess the 3719psi was an anomolly. Today ICP is always at 724psi (cold or warm) unless being put under a load. At WOT only get 2641psi no matter what tune I'm in. At WOT it was at 47% duty cycle

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
you may have got 2 wires crossed.. the waste gate (on the pedestal)and the IPR share the same plug...if its not the IPR its the ICP...its been a long time that i looked at them....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron, are you thinking I crossed 2 wires when I changed the pigtail for the ICP and that's why the voltage reads 4.6? I'll check the IPR connection, but I'm pretty sure I got the right one on there. Truck dies if I disconnect the IPR

1 - 20 of 36 Posts