Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
@Jax is doing the exact same thing to a '00 model year on THIS THREAD. You can probably read through it and get some idea of what you'll need to do. To sum it up, though, I don't believe you're going to be able to just remove leaves. Unless you can get specs for each individual leaf, you'll have no idea what the spring rate and weight rating will be. Plus, they may have a different curvature which will wind up with a height difference as well. You'll have to either go find a donor truck or buy new. As for what codes to get, that's entirely up to you. Technically, even from the factory there were a variety of springs you could get, depending on the package, engine, etc. They are (stolen from Powerstroke Army):
T = 4,400 pounds
U = 4,800
V = 5,200
W = 5,600 (rare on a pickup)
X = 6,000 (only with snow-plow pkg on a pickup)

Rear spring codes:
A = F-250 & Excursion (6,084 pounds @ground)
B = F-350 SRW (6,830 pounds @ground)
C = F-350 DRW (8,250 pounds @ground)

However, I can tell you from experience that you do NOT want to run T or U codes up front. I have the Excursion with a 6.0 and the Ex came with U codes to help "soften" the ride as compared to the SD with V codes. My truck would literally hit the bump stops with just me leaning on the hood. They are weak and wear out in short order. V codes came stock on most 250's. X was usually reserved for the plow package. As for the rear, you would probably be fine with either the A or B codes. My ex wife's 250 has B codes in the rear and it rides great. She also has V codes up front and doesn't have the same issues I did on the Excursion. You could, however, just take a look at your door jamb and see what codes are listed on the sticker to see what came from the factory.

Other than springs, you'll most likely need a stock pitman arm, stock track bar bracket (ask Jax how difficult it was to find one of those in her neck of the woods!), a stock track bar if you have an adjustable one, possibly a shorter driveshaft (front and rear) depending on whether they had to be lengthened for your current lift, possibly different length sway bar end links, new u-bolts, shorter shocks, and MAYBE stock length brake lines.....the longer ones needed for your kit might not be able to be tucked out of the way properly. Oh, and I don't know what kind of block you're running in the rear. 250's came with either the 2" or 4" block, depending on what spring it had. IIRC it was the 2" for the B code and 4" for the A code, but honestly, rear height can also be a preference thing for you, so you might like it with either.

I'm sure I missed something, but that should be a good start.

Reactions: Captain Sampson

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
52 Posts
Removing the 8” RCX lift kit off my ‘99 CCSB. Not sure if I need to buy “stock” replacement leaf springs. Or can I remove leafs from the RCX spring packs? Rock Auto shows 4 different weight ratings.
I like the black bumpers on your truck. Paired with the orange corner lights, and chrome grille. I think it gives the truck some attitude!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jax is doing the exact same thing to a '00 model year on THIS THREAD. You can probably read through it and get some idea of what you'll need to do. To sum it up, though, I don't believe you're going to be able to just remove leaves. Unless you can get specs for each individual leaf, you'll have no idea what the spring rate and weight rating will be. Plus, they may have a different curvature which will wind up with a height difference as well. You'll have to either go find a donor truck or buy new. As for what codes to get, that's entirely up to you. Technically, even from the factory there were a variety of springs you could get, depending on the package, engine, etc. They are (stolen from Powerstroke Army):
T = 4,400 pounds
U = 4,800
V = 5,200
W = 5,600 (rare on a pickup)
X = 6,000 (only with snow-plow pkg on a pickup)

Rear spring codes:
A = F-250 & Excursion (6,084 pounds @ground)
B = F-350 SRW (6,830 pounds @ground)
C = F-350 DRW (8,250 pounds @ground)

However, I can tell you from experience that you do NOT want to run T or U codes up front. I have the Excursion with a 6.0 and the Ex came with U codes to help "soften" the ride as compared to the SD with V codes. My truck would literally hit the bump stops with just me leaning on the hood. They are weak and wear out in short order. V codes came stock on most 250's. X was usually reserved for the plow package. As for the rear, you would probably be fine with either the A or B codes. My ex wife's 250 has B codes in the rear and it rides great. She also has V codes up front and doesn't have the same issues I did on the Excursion. You could, however, just take a look at your door jamb and see what codes are listed on the sticker to see what came from the factory.

Other than springs, you'll most likely need a stock pitman arm, stock track bar bracket (ask Jax how difficult it was to find one of those in her neck of the woods!), a stock track bar if you have an adjustable one, possibly a shorter driveshaft (front and rear) depending on whether they had to be lengthened for your current lift, possibly different length sway bar end links, new u-bolts, shorter shocks, and MAYBE stock length brake lines.....the longer ones needed for your kit might not be able to be tucked out of the way properly. Oh, and I don't know what kind of block you're running in the rear. 250's came with either the 2" or 4" block, depending on what spring it had. IIRC it was the 2" for the B code and 4" for the A code, but honestly, rear height can also be a preference thing for you, so you might like it with either.

I'm sure I missed something, but that should be a good start.
Awesome info! I called SD springs and got a price from them. They helped quite a bit using the door code. Now, I’m on the hunt for a stock track bar bracket. I’ll jump over and comment on the other thread! Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the black bumpers on your truck. Paired with the orange corner lights, and chrome grille. I think it gives the truck some attitude!
Thanks! It’s actually getting another facelift after I finish the interior and get it running correctly. 👌🏼

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks! It’s actually getting another facelift after I finish the interior and get it running correctly. 👌🏼
If you're thinking about going to a 2005+ style front end, don't. I've tried it on my truck, it doesn't work as well as people say it does. And quite frankly the early 7.3 body style has aged very well; No need to change it. Also, even though you're returning the suspension to stock, I'd suggest getting just a tad larger tire on the stock wheel. Going a little bigger on the tire will give you a more comfy ride on the rough leaf spring truck. And I'm not talking about like 315/75r16s here, something like a 33" tire or so is sufficient. And going up to an F load tire will give you longer tread life, especially if you tow or haul a lot. Bilstein shocks in the rear will take out some of the jarring from the leaf springs as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would give the opposite advice on the first two points above lol, other than the fact doing the work to change a non broken leaf spring system to a 05 is not something I would do.

I have done the 05 update because I had the parts and I hit a deer and would do again even without broken parts

Definitely go to 31-32" tires, I think 33" are too big but w/e it's just me

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would give the opposite advice on the first two points above lol, other than the fact doing the work to change a non broken leaf spring system to a 05 is not something I would do.

I have done the 05 update because I had the parts and I hit a deer and would do again even without broken parts

Definitely go to 31-32" tires, I think 33" are too big but w/e it's just me
I mean like a 285/70/16 or a 285/75/16, which are somewhere between 32 and 32 inch. And I wasn't talking about changing to 2005 suspension, I was referring to changing to 2005 bumper, grille, and lights. But also yes, if you want coil springs, get a quality 4 link kit and have pros install it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes. The truck already has 285/75/16 BFG All Terrains on it. I’m battling a wire harness issue right now. It’s a bit easier to work on with it lifted haha 😂 On the other hand I like the 08-10 front end. I do have a concern of it lining up and looking right. I’m open to all tips and tricks as I get this truck dialed in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean like a 285/70/16 or a 285/75/16, which are somewhere between 32 and 32 inch. And I wasn't talking about changing to 2005 suspension, I was referring to changing to 2005 bumper, grille, and lights. But also yes, if you want coil springs, get a quality 4 link kit and have pros install it.
Where can I find a 4 link kit?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Heh I was confused on my sizes apparently, I'm running 285/75/17 which are 33.8"

It's about 1/2" too tall imo

And I'm running bfg ats too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts