Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, zf5 swap, 160cc injectors, Wicked Wheel, ts6 chip, cold air intake.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so it has been starting to get colder up here in Michigan by that I mean 60 degree mornings and my 7.3 has started having problems started. It starts but it stumbles real bad at first only running on a few cylinders for a few seconds then it catches and smokes big white cloud for maybe 5 minutes then goes away. So I know this is glow plug related, I made a post last winter because I put new glow plugs in the truck and it worked good till now. I have checked the resistance on all the glow plugs and they all seem to be in check from 0.00 ohms to 0.9 ohms. I did notice one of the pigtails has a burnt plug, would this one burnt plug cause the hard start and smoke? Or is there another glow plugs down that I don’t realize.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Test your relay. With the key on there should be less than 0.3 volts difference between the two large lugs.

If you are still running a stock style relay look into the White Rodgers 586-902 relay. I've been running one now for 20+ years with zero problems.

But back to that burnt pin, it can and will cause you problems in the future.

Diesel O Rings is a good source for the relay and new plug. RIFFRAFT diesel will have the plug.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, zf5 swap, 160cc injectors, Wicked Wheel, ts6 chip, cold air intake.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did check the relay and it seemed close not exactly sure off the top of my head if it’s within your specs but I’m not sure on its age. Would it be smart to just take care of it now? And is it normal for my multimeter to read 0.00 ohms on the glow plugs? Do I not have the setting low enough maybe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me be clear it reads 0.00 not OL. Are they still good? One or two read 0.7

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
If the plug is reading 0.00 it is a dead short and I would consider it bad. They do need to read some resistance.

Did you replace them with Motorcraft ZD-11's?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the plug is reading 0.00 it is a dead short and I would consider it bad. They do need to read some resistance.

Did you replace them with Motorcraft ZD-11's?

yes I did replace them with ZD-11’s. But so hear this, Amazon had a kit of 8 from “motorcraft” and it even has the amazons choice check like they approve it and at the time it had great reviews. I looked back today and there is many reviews saying they are counterfeit motorcrafts. Does this sound right? So you would recommend replacing them?

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Counterfeit Motorcraft parts are common on Amazon and Ebay. If you read the label on the package you will find misspellings of words.

I myself would think about them, I just replaced mine a couple of months ago and how fun it can be.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there an easy way to test if they are counterfeit? Like if I remove them is there a testing procedure? Where would you recommend getting new plugs

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Nothing that I know of.

As for sources for them I'd stick with sponsors or known good suppliers.

Diesel O Rings and RiffRaft Diesel are two of them

·
Administrator
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for sharing your GP purchase (and failure) experience. The scammers set these traps with deception to sell you their counterfeits. Sorry you got ensnared.

60 degrees seems way too warm to have trouble starting, Wonder if there's something else not right (other than GPs). Actually was facing the GP replacement task myself but found the GPR was completely dead and GPs were fine. But engine still started down to around 35 degrees -- without any GPs energized.

Anyways, leaving it to the more experienced to suggest what else might be causing the trouble. Looking forward to this winter to see how cold it can get and still fire up, now with all GPs working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts