Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 7.3. When I turn the key to accessory, not start, should I hear the glow plugs cycling on or some other sort of noise? Until the squiggly W thing turns off? I know on my 04 it used to do that. Also, I get a little white smoke at start up.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
You can not hear the glow plugs, and unless your under the hood will not hear the GPR... If you heard something on the 2004 it was the vacumn pump, not the glow plugs.

The light on the dash means nothing as far as the glow plugs go, its another engineered idiot light by Ford...

Watch this video, the LED is hooked to the output of the GPR...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Also, I get a little white smoke at start up.
Have someone start it while your at the other end and give whatever white smoke you get a good whiff.. Diesel or Oil?? Likely a bit of unburnt Diesel from the first crank or so. We're animals, smell everything.

The GP's stay on according to several sensor parameters. The GP light in the cab is to get you to wait a couple seconds before cycling the key to start so that the GP's have had a chance to warm the combustion chamber. We animals pay attention to stupid things like lights.

I would say, based on Mileage you might see a bit of white smoke on cold start.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You can not hear the glow plugs, and unless your under the hood will not hear the GPR... If you heard something on the 2004 it was the vacumn pump, not the glow plugs.

The light on the dash means nothing as far as the glow plugs go, its another engineered idiot light by Ford...

Watch this video, the LED is hooked to the output of the GPR...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjTslOHmgs
It's the Carnival of guages.. I've always been jealous

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
LOL...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've thought of this and am somewhat surprised you have not done this yet, But I've always wanted a HUD that you could switch the output to different metrics. Just like a fighter cockpit.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Isspro doesnt make it so...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts