Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this the wrong glow plug relay.... I bought the truck a couple months ago worked ok now it doesn’t turn on the power always has power and the ground is always grounded it has a plug on the bottom I haven’t tested the wires but ever where I look the controller looks different like the starter selonoid .... I always have the starter seloniod looking one on the passenger fender the only one I have seen any similarities too is off a gm diesel .... I bought it from a farmer who kinda rigged up a bunch of problems he had so I wouldn’t doubt it if that thing doesn’t even belong on this truck

·
Registered
134 Posts
It may not be terminated correctly but a relay is just a relay. One side is the + and the other goes to your glow plugs. It either closes when the WTS light is on or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it's bad and needs replaced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think it’s closing at least I can’t tell there is no difference in the two top post when I cycle the key tomorrow I will have to check the bottom two wires that plug into a connection.... thanks for the reply.... any idea of a replacement similar or do I need to replace with the solenoid one

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
What year is you truck? It appears to be a 94.5 or a 95 from the looks of the relay.

I don't even know if you can get that relay anymore. The replacements usually come with a short harness that plugs into the old harness and has two eye terminals that will connect to the new relay.

You can test the relay with a digital volt ohm meter. Measure the voltage on each large post when you first turn the key on. There should be less than 0.3 volts difference between the two.

I'm going to have a mod move this to the correct forum where it should be.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It's still the same relay as the newer 7.3.
Still available as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Weren't the older ones narrower instead of round?

Also the first ones on the Powerstrokes had a plug on them for the wire hook up which changed mid way through 95 or with the 95 year.

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
that looks like a western snow plow relay.

all relays ARE NOT the same. starter relays are case grounded. glow plugs relays are internally grounded.
if you try to use a starter relay on glow plugs they will stay on all the time and burn the glow plugs out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck is 1995 I changed the relay because the old one was always on ... so is the new relay it’s always grounded and hot without the key on .... I unplugged the battery for about 10 mins plugged back in and the relay is on without even turning the key I unplugged uvch and but my test light in pin and it’s on the glow plugs never turn off

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
disconnect the two small wires. connect them to a volt meter and see what reading you get. key off should be no power.
turn key on. you should have power for about two minutes.
if you have power on those two wires after 3-4 minutes there is an issue with the pcm supplying constant power to the glow plug relay.
if i remember correctly, the 95 is a switched ground to the GPR just like the 99 and newer trucks are.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The GPR should have none of its terminals with continuity to the case (base). If it does the relay will stay on. If it is the old style type with the weatherpack connector for the control wires, the control wires can easily be converted to ring terminals. Ford did have a relay kit with the newer style all ring terminals that came with a pigtail adapter to bring the control wires out to ring terminals. Cheers!

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
if it has continuity to the base, it is a starter relay, not a glow plug relay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so I left battery unplugged over night this morning I plugged it in and as soon as I connected the relay had power no key nothing .... with my test light connection to ground I touch the big terminal and it lights up then I touch both small terminals and they light up as well I move the lead to the positive terminal and touch the last big terminal the one with brown wires and the light turns on

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
With the key off you should have power to just one large lug.

There will be no voltage to the small lugs or the smaller wires.

With the key on you will have voltage to one small lug or one of the small wires. However after about 2 minutes you may see voltage to both of the smaller wires once the ground is gone. The ground is supplied by the PCM During this time you should have power to both of the large lugs until the ground is removed by the PCM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn’t check voltage I just used a test light like for checking fuses so I assumed it was getting at least 12v I could be wrong though I will double check when I get home from work .... but again all this testing was done with no key in the truck and the battery had been disconnected for hours ....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Weren't the older ones narrower instead of round?

Also the first ones on the Powerstrokes had a plug on them for the wire hook up which changed mid way through 95 or with the 95 year.
Oh duh. Mine was a 94, had the plug.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I didn’t check voltage I just used a test light like for checking fuses so I assumed it was getting at least 12v I could be wrong though I will double check when I get home from work .... but again all this testing was done with no key in the truck and the battery had been disconnected for hours ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts