Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand how this thing works thers two large post 1 is a line from the battery should read 12 v all the time the other large post is what feeds 12v when the key is on to the glow plugs for up to 120 sec depending on the temp. 2 small post one controlled by the pcm the other by the key with the key off there should only be 12v to the 1 large post. In my truck the 1 large and both small always have power to them, when I turn the key on all 4 posts have power after a 60 sec or so the glow plug lead starts to power down slowly this may take 60 sec to get to 0 v then when I start it .the Glow plug lead goes back to 12v. Is this right should my glow plug lead be powered up with the truck running? I have had this truck for 6 weeks and being my first diesel I dont know much about them.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Doesn't sound right... Glow plug stud shouldn't work down to 0v and then jump back to 12v when the truck is started...

It should stay constant until it shuts off or the key is cycled again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Doesn't sound right... Glow plug stud shouldn't work down to 0v and then jump back to 12v when the truck is started...

It should stay constant until it shuts off or the key is cycled again.
but the glow plugs should still have power going to them for aa few seconds even after the engine is started and running.... correct?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yep, they will have power until the relay shuts off regardless of it running or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so with the key off, should there be power to the both small leads on the relay?
and then with the key on the relay should only send power to the glow plug for up to 2 mins? And then click off like a switch

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ok so with the key off, should there be power to the both small leads on the relay?
and then with the key on the relay should only send power to the glow plug for up to 2 mins? And then click off like a switch
Couldn't tell ya, I have never worried about the small posts... I just care about the glow plugs getting power.

And yes, it should be on for up to two minutes depending on EOT. Then you will hear it click off.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
One of the small posts should be a ground and the other will be a power on when the key is cycled.

Maybe the relay timer is starting over again when you start your vehicle...? I'm not sure how it is supposed to actually work other than being a timed power source.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help, I repalced it and the new one is working correctly . I was putting to much thougt into it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts