Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'02 excursion
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, so excuse my ignorance. I have an '02 excursion that has had a glow plug code for a couple years. It is not hard to start but just with the weather cooling a little if i don't run it for 4-7 days, it doesn't seem to have enough juice to start unless i have it plugged in. My batteries are at 12.6vlt sitting. Would this be a battery issue or glow plug/relay issue and where would i start?

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
I would start by checking the glow plug relay and load testing the batteries.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
You can check each glow plug by disconnecting the wiring harness where it goes under the valve covers. Use an ohm meter to check resistance from the pins coming out from under the valve cover to the negative battery terminal. The two pins farthest to the rear and the two closest to the front are the glow plugs. The other pins are for injectors. The reading from each glowplug pin to the battery should be between .5 - 2.0 ohms anything outside those readings indicates a bad glowplug. Be sure to check both sides of the motor. If you find 1 bad one on one side and three bad ones on the other. You may get by with just replacing everything on one side if funds are really tight.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Get the batteries load tested. If the glow plug system wasn't properly operating it would be just as hard to start after sitting 2 days, as it would from sitting 6 days.given that its cold outside.

In my opinion if its harder to start the longer it sits, it seems that the batteries may be on their way out.

·
'02 excursion
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is an '02 excursion so what i'm gathering from doing a little reading i think that i would have a gpcm? I got a code reader today and i came up with a p0683 and p1211 both did not show up in the book i have. I have an edge adjustable tuner in it. Maybe this will help you guys that know what you are talking about. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure terminals are clean of corrosion too
Even if it looks ok from top it could have between terminal and post
Causing low voltage to gpr witch would also cause them not to heat up
Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
it is an '02 excursion so what i'm gathering from doing a little reading i think that i would have a gpcm? I got a code reader today and i came up with a p0683 and p1211 both did not show up in the book i have. I have an edge adjustable tuner in it. Maybe this will help you guys that know what you are talking about. Thanks
0683 = GPCM Glow Plug Control Module communication line failuOrpeen/shorted circuit, failed GPCM, PCM

What does that tell ya?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
0683 = GPCM Glow Plug Control Module communication line failuOrpeen/shorted circuit, failed GPCM, PCM

What does that tell ya?
You need a new GPCM. I always thought you have a GPCM if you have a CA PSD. It is saying it can't communicate with the PCM, but will have no effect on whether the GP's are lit. I ran with that code for several years and had no problems running around Tahoe, ID and WY in the winter, I did have to plug in a couple times in -5* overnight temps

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
does the failed gpcm cause the starting to act like the batteries are low?
No, not in my experience, as I said.. I ran several years with this code and it had zero effect on starting. I would fix it though. I saw where CSIPSD, Joe, replaced his with a stancor relay, but I think he had some wiring work to do. This eliminated the costly GPCM and replaced it with a cheap relay that others have.

Mine even passed all the AE gp tests with that code set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts