Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fitter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on installing new glow plugs in truck this weekend and was just wondering if there were any hints or tricks. My truck has 89,000 miles on it and I assume they are the factory plugs. I'm getting codes for four of the eight plugs so gonna put all new in. I've tried researching it and can't really find much, I've been told you can get harness off of plugs with angled needle-nose pliers and a small screwdriver. Is this true or do you need the specialty tool that is made for it? Also do they try and sieze in block after being in so long...don't want to take a chance on breaking them off or tearing up harness. Know this is a long post but just questionable about the whole deal, any advice would be great.....thanks

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
hmm im guna say you probably dont need glow plugs, my truck has 225k on it, i have owned it for 100k and im pretty sure im still running factory installed glow plugs..... look into the gpcm before you take on the task of glow plugs

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
+1 on GPCM... I have probably replaced 3 GP's total in 2 years on 6.0... check the harness also, is may be unplugged or cut... the glowplugs dont seize they come right out, they are in constant oil bath, makes it easy... IF you do take em out, buy new harness's bc you will break them removing em... Use a 1/4 10MM deep to get to them, torque is 14 ft lbs... no anti seize, no sealant, nothing...

·
Fitter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm im guna say you probably dont need glow plugs, my truck has 225k on it, i have owned it for 100k and im pretty sure im still running factory installed glow plugs..... look into the gpcm before you take on the task of glow plugs
Yea I already tried a different GPCM and still had same DTC's for glow plugs. So I just went ahead and ordered new plugs and supposed to be here tomorrow. How much is harness?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Yea I already tried a different GPCM and still had same DTC's for glow plugs. So I just went ahead and ordered new plugs and supposed to be here tomorrow. How much is harness?
different gpcm or new? was it working on the previous truck with no issues?

·
Fitter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
different gpcm or new? was it working on the previous truck with no issues?
A different used GPCM. I'm running tunes from Vivian and this all started after tuning, but truck cranks longer than I thing it should even stock. The GPCM was sent to me by a tech that works for her.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Well thanks for the help...Sorry for involving you i guess
its all good, did it happen directly after you tuned it or over time? what all is done to the pickup besides tuning? any other engine mods? any other strange symptoms?

·
Fitter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you clear the codes after install of 'new' GPCM
Well to tell you the truth i cant remember, i have been messing with all the tunes going back and forth trying to get it figured out. But when i put it on another tune i still get DTCs but with no CEL. Just with the looney tune i get the CEL with the glow plug codes

·
Fitter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its all good, did it happen directly after you tuned it or over time? what all is done to the pickup besides tuning? any other engine mods? any other strange symptoms?
Well i have only had truck for six months and have been trying to get tunes running correctly for over a month. It has show glow plugs from day one. It has 4" turbo back exhaust and cold air intake

1 - 20 of 39 Posts