Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 F250 7.3L

I recently tested my glow plug system, and found out I have 2 dead glow plugs. I plan on replacing these 2, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a replacement under valve cover harness, or at least a factory part that changed since 2000. Anyone know about this?

I have also saw a glow plug replacement kit here Should I just do all 8, the under valve cover harnesses and the valve cover gaskets all at the same time?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
2000 F250 7.3L
I have also saw a glow plug replacement kit here Should I just do all 8, the under valve cover harnesses and the valve cover gaskets all at the same time?
That's what I did. I did not want to go back in to fix UVCH issues and or leaks. You will have everything off at that point and it will be to easy to replace the UVCH and Harness. You are probably talking about the clips that appeared on the UVCH after 2000.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Do all eight glow plugs and UVCH harnesses while you are in there. You already have it opened up. No sense in having to go in twice right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking about trying to get parts from a local international dealer. Any thoughts? I have read some bad things about powerstrokeshop.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I have never had bad luck with powerstrokeshop myself. International dealer is an option. Even sellers on Ebay are selling ford parts at a decent discount.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Personally, if my harnesses and gasket ohm out well, I see no reason to change them. They are just wires and connectors. Drop a dab of silicone or epoxy in the corner of the connector and never worry about it coming apart again. However, if you are in there, change all of the glow plugs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local international dealer has all the parts for a tad over $200. I will just replace it all as long as I am in there. Hopefully the glow plugs will come out easy.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Take your time doing the glow plugs. If it fights you coming out, stop and spray it with penetrating oil and work it back and forth gently. If you snap the tip off in the head you are in trouble. You will have to pull the head to get it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I have done a TON of reading up on changing them. The last thing I want to have to do is pull the head. Although that would give me a nice excuse to do head studs. But no, I really don't want to do it.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
If you run into the problem that the socket is binding against the rocker arm, use a 10mm deepwell 1/4" drive socket. (Insert emergency tool run here) Sears sells the whole 1/4" drive deepwell metric set for about $30.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother is a Toyota Tech. Since he has an account with snap-on I get tools for birthdays and Christmas. I have everything I need :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Local international dealer has all the parts for a tad over $200. I will just replace it all as long as I am in there. Hopefully the glow plugs will come out easy.
What International part numbers are they?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glow plugs - 1820697C2
UVCH - 1830844C93
Gaskets - 1826703C1

I had to pull up the numbers again so I am 90% sure those are right. I will check my notes again when I get home.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Glow plugs - 1820697C2
UVCH - 1830844C93
Gaskets - 1826703C1

I had to pull up the numbers again so I am 90% sure those are right. I will check my notes again when I get home.
Thanks, great info.. suppose I could have called 'em. But I am sometimes asked to provide my VIN for them to reference parts at the International dealer in Sacramento

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a complete Ford to International part number cross reference. I just looked up the numbers, and when I called the International dealer they said they had them in stock. So I guess I got the right ones :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I found a complete Ford to International part number cross reference. I just looked up the numbers, and when I called the International dealer they said they had them in stock. So I guess I got the right ones :D
Post a location for the parts cross reference. That will come in handy as the international parts are always cheaper.

Thanks again.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Here you go.

Attachments

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Post a location for the parts cross reference. That will come in handy as the international parts are always cheaper.

Thanks again.
Not always. The INTL dealer back home was 'under new management' and the owner had declared that they were going to start charging 100%+ profit for all parts not on accounts. Glowplugs were over $15 ea (back when ZD11's were about $5 at autozone), and a VC gasket was over $50. I forget what the UVCH was.
The counter person asked why I was bringing them back, so I told him they were too expensive and I could get the same part from the Ford dealership down the street from them for about half what they charged me. He looked at the receipt and started swearing at the guy that originally sold them to me.
That was when he explained what happened. New owner didn't know his head from a hole in the ground and was a greedy SOB. And, the guy that sold them to me was a major brown-noser.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts