Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any luck converting from a glow plug control module to a simple glow plug relay?

I have a cali truck in Canada (no emmissions rules) and my cold starts are pretty hard, all the glow plugs are in range with a resistance check (under 2ohms) but still hard to start... injectors pass contribution test fine...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
has anyone had any luck converting from a glow plug control module to a simple glow plug relay?

I have a cali truck in Canada (no emmissions rules) and my cold starts are pretty hard, all the glow plugs are in range with a resistance check (under 2ohms) but still hard to start... injectors pass contribution test fine...
Not w/o replacing the GEM and possibly the PCM. Besides I am not sure that switching from a GPCM to a GPR would make that much difference.

Hard cold starts could also be related to ICP and fuel pressure. Do you know what your ICP is during the first several cranks? Do you know what your fuel pressure is at KOEO during the first few seconds. The fuel pump shuts off after a couple seconds during KOEO unless you start the truck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about icp as I don't have AE, but I have a manual fuel pressure gauge on the bowl and it stays steady at 65psi

Sitting for 1 night it's no problem to start, but if it's for several nights without running in the day is when the truck is hard to start, it seems to help a little if I cycle the wait to start light 4 or 5 times and then start the truck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not sure about icp as I don't have AE, but I have a manual fuel pressure gauge on the bowl and it stays steady at 65psi

Sitting for 1 night it's no problem to start, but if it's for several nights without running in the day is when the truck is hard to start, it seems to help a little if I cycle the wait to start light 4 or 5 times and then start the truck.
Aha.. It sounds as if your HP Oil reservoir may be leaking down. The long crank to start may be the Engine oil pump refilling the HP Oil reservoir. You have to have at least 500 psi HP Oil to get the Injectors firing. So you may be building that pressure during the longer crank. I would not change the GP setup since it is more involved than just swapping a GPR for a GPCM. And I don't think that would do anything for you on the long cranks. If anything the GPCM uses more inputs to manage the "on time" for the GP's to account for California emissions, but either way they get the same voltage and may even stay on longer with a GPCM.

Cycling the GP's has no real effect. When the WTS light goes out, the GP's are still lit. They stay on or lit for a few minutes depending on ambient temp and engine temp.

65 psi fuel pressure is great. I wish I had that but I am sure my in tank screen is clogged since I have replaced the fuel pump and it is still at 45 psi

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck has been sitting since saturday not plugged in, I just started it with 5 cycles of the wait to start and it started quite well with no blue smoke in the stock tune, still longer cranking time then I would like, 4 seconds maybe.

Is there a problem that allows the hpop oil to drain down over time? or is it normal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts