Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
< Can I drive?!
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a yamaha big bear 400 4x4? im looking at buying on thats an 2001, well im actually trading my polaris scrambler for it. im just wanting some honest opinions on them. im meeting the guy this coming friday and would like to have a better idea of what to look for in one. heck what are some good things to look for in a used ATV? thanks for all your help
daniel

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ask how many hours it has, if it has the original tires, if not how many sets its had. Make sure the 4wd works make sure you ride and see how it runs. All else you never know. Hope this helped

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
pull the seat off and check the air filter and air box, oil to.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I have a 2000 Kodiak 400 ultramatic and consider it a fine 4 wheeler and have never had a problem with it. I usually use it for hunting, goofing around , and snow plowing. As long as the maintenance was kept up it should be a good trade.

·
< Can I drive?!
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks yall. im just hoping that i dont get into a sour deal and come out ripped off. bugman, how is the pulling capacity on them?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I got a 2000 big bear 400, mines has had complete top and bottom end rebuild on the engine, as I bought it with the top end needing work, only to found out it was junk. so she got everything!, $1700 later, its bored out and runs great!, I run a 2" hilift liftkit in it with 27" TSL swamper vampires on ITP steel rims, its a gruntin pg in the right gear, but you can dang near get off and run faster then it will go!!lol, all in all its been a good machine for me, I use it all winter for plowing snow for me and 7 differnt nieghbors.... goodluck....

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Like said, check the fluids, air filter, and also check to see how she starts cold. See if theres any smoke comming from the pipe, and what color it is. All in all just try to get a feel for how it was maintained.
They're alright machines when maintained, and for the right price I wouldn't be afraid to buy it and rebuild it.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
As far as pulling, I have a 16' car hauler trailer that I park in my back yard and use my Kodiak to get it back in there and back with no problems. Stopping the trailer is another thing if it is loaded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts