Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Getting my first 6.0

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
I am getting my first 6.0 this week!! It is a 2005 F-250 4x4 4 door king ranch. I am new to diesel and cant wait to get it. I guess my main question is, other than the typical bulletproofing what else should i be looking at?

#2 ·
welcome to the wonderful world of diesels! and a very special welcome to the upside down, crazy 6.0 district lol!
first things first, be sure that you get an opportunity to start it COLD! and read up on 'stiction' and injector problems before hand. that way you can have a basic idea of what you are looking at. come winter, you'll want healthy injectors. I know Amarillo isn't extremely cold, but it's cold enough in winter to consider cold oil on those injectors.

#4 ·
oh oh, try to get service records! and plan on changing ALLLLLL of the fluids soon based on what you learn from service records, if any... mainly the coolant. big one.

... ... and take a monitor of some type with you that can read engine oil temp and coolant temp. once the truck gets warmed up, its a good idea to take it on the highway and see how narrow/wide the gap is between those two numbers. we call it the EOT/ECT Delta. We like to see it no more than 10-12 degrees F difference after a good cruise on the highway.

#5 ·
It could already be studded/deleted.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
oh, just thought of something. soon as you get home, drain the water separator. catch it in a jug if you can so you can see what's been through there. hope you see only clean fuel. my first time drianing mine after i bought it at 216k miles, it was NASTY!

#14 ·
For a drive like that, I would do the hot shots secret stiction eliminator, and the diesel extreme. Give both some time to work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.