Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So far I'm pretty impressed with the kinds of things I can see with Forscan but there are still a lot of things I don't know about this program or my truck for that matter. (97 7.3 HD 4x4, CA model).

My first question has to do with DTCs. As you can see in the picture below, on the OBDII selection, I get the message that there are no error codes, but when I click on PCM, I get a message saying "unable to read DTC." Also, I have a check engine light on and normally I get the codes P1391, P1395 (left bank glow plugs I believe), but those didn't pop up this time. In the past, when they did appear, I was getting the same combination of messages as below. I know that I need to do a glow plug relay and glow plug test. But really, I'm wondering if, given these conflicting messages, I can trust Forscan to read new codes that might pop up.

Besides that, I wanted to hear from you all what I should take a look at to gauge the health of my truck. There are a lot of options as far as what I can watch and because I don't have a background in this stuff I don't really know what to make of all of it. I've seen elsewhere that I can check oil pressure at the injectors, would this be useful for knowing if I need to change the injector o-rings? Any pointers on what to monitor in forscan/what problem that addresses/what repairs to make would be very helpful. Again, this is so I can monitor the truck over time and stay ahead of things.

For the TorquePro app, I've seen a thread on PIDs. What are these and would Forscan work better if I could enter additional information like that?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'd say that you can probably trust the Forscan to read codes and you might go to the Forscan forum on their site to gain more information. I have it but haven't messed with it yet. The PIDs are simply monitored parameters that you are able to check using the tool. The injector oil pressure is basically the ICP parameter and it's not really going to pinpoint injector o-ring degradation or failure, but will point to something wrong in the HP oil system. I find that the most useful information is being able to read the codes and then look at what the pinpoint tests are for the codes to see what is being checked and what things might be monitored. You would need the Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PCED) to do that (which I have). Now for the glowplug monitoring codes, here is a TSB that has some useful information in it (not necessarily that you actually have the issue presented there, but you could). Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I plugged in again today and something clearly changed because I got a whole list of codes. Can anyone tell me why the OBD II and the PCM codes are listed separately? Six of the codes are essentially the same, (1395, 1396) and from what I gathered the rest are the PCM running self check and don't point to any urgent issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove the truck a bit to get some readings. If the kind of data looks chosen at random, it is. I don't have a plan really, I was just trying to get a feel for things. I chose the cruise control b/c it wasn't shutting off correctly before, but I didn't actually try to use it to get information. Would this data help me diagnose a problem with the cruise?

Also, this measurements are about 5 minutes after starting as I began to drive down the street at around 20mph. The Engine oil and coolant temps seem within reason, but I don't know what the normal range is (though the ECT.OBDII reads -40 which I don't understand). The cam shaft position sensor switches from high to low frequently. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does the exhaust back pressure seem normal? or the ICP pressure? ICP ranged from 4000 - 11000.

Any input would be good. The whole point is to figure out what normal ranges are and the value of different readings in terms of diagnosing specific problems. I did have a peek at the forscan forum. It seems that most of the Ford people posting there have trucks in the 2005-present range, gas and diesel, so not too sure what value that could be for me.

Thanks to whoever reads through this post!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This list of Automotive Terms & Abbreviations is fairly thorough, but you may also want to download the Ford service disk from Ford Service Manuals - Google Drive and follow the instructions in this photo album:
Thanks 97F250HDXLT for the link to the terms. Acronyms are such a pain when first starting in a new field so a glossary is super useful.

I have the Ford service manuals, a 1995 edition for the 7.3 DI and then the 1997 manuals for the electrical and vacuum, drivetrain and the rest. Those also require a bit of there own interpreting, but I'm glad I have them to look through to just figure out what all is under the hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would need the Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PCED) to do that (which I have). Now for the glowplug monitoring codes, here is a TSB that has some useful information in it (not necessarily that you actually have the issue presented there, but you could). Cheers!
Thanks for the info Patrick. Is the PCED a manual? I have seen the conversation concerning the CA specific glow plug codes. I figured I would do the different tests of the GP relay and glowplugs with a voltometer just to check and learn how to do the tests.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yes, the PCED is a (another) factory service manual that is quite useful, especially if you can read the codes and data. Mine are on a Ford Service Manual DVD. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts