Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gunnellett
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Had my overdrive light start blinking and the transmission started shifting hard.

Took it to a reputable shop I trust.

The mechanic hooked up his code reader and went for a ride with me. Can't remember the codes he got but it included something about 2 different speed sensors having errors and not reading.

He pulled the pan and found a bunch of metal and said I need to get the transmission rebuilt. They have a local builder do their rebuilds.

The mechanic recommends getting a larger pan, larger cooler, and temperature gauge along with the rebuild.

I know nothing about transmissions but I know there are options with the different parts and brands.

The truck is stock but I plan on slowly building it up a bit with a goal of around 400 horse and want to make sure the transmission can handle it. I do not want to have to go through this expense again anytime soon.

Question is what do I need to make sure is being done to the transmission for the rebuild and what is worth paying a little extra for?

As long as the transmission is out, they are going to go ahead and install a turbo back exhaust with egt sensor and get rid of my leaking non functioning EBPV with a delete set up.

Thanks,
Wes

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,042 Posts
The mechanic hooked up his code reader and went for a ride with me. Can't remember the codes he got but it included something about 2 different speed sensors having errors and not reading.
There are NO speed sensors in an E4OD. If they rebuild the trans and fix nothing else in the truck you'll still have the flashing OD light and harsh shifts.

There are speed sensors that the E4OD needs to operate. One is on the engine and the other is on the rear axle.

I agree with a larger cooler and a temp gauge. A larger pan won't help the trans in any way. It looks cool, and costs a lot of money, but it doesn't help cool the trans. I know many people think it will, but they are wrong.

And reading EGT after the turbo is absolutely worthless. It must be read before the turbo to do any good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some of the items that I install in every E4OD/4R100 that comes to my shop. Especially for those that tow or mild power upgrades. Upgrade the cooler. I like tru-cool coolers by long. 4490 or 4590 are most popular. Temp guage is good. I like auto meter. I use sonnax sure cure shift kit. It addresses the most common problems. Alto clutch kits for Od clutch, intermediate clutch and direct. Also if your trans doesn't already have it. U want the bearing style center support and steel planets( early E4OD came with 4 pinion aluminum). I also always use a billit front converter. Doesn't have to be multi clutch though. Any trans builder will know about these component. Agree with mark. The deep pan is a waste of money.

·
Gunnellett
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Guys! I will talk with the guy rebuilding my transmission.

This is a summary of notes from mechanic checking it out. The guys running the shop are friends of mine so I do not think they are hosing me.

There were a couple of codes.
P0236 boost sensor (i'm guessing nothing to do with the transmission)
P1728 transmission slip

Fluid is burnt.

Scan data says torque converter is not locking up at all

Removed pan and found lots of metal and clutch material in fluid

Magnet is covered with metal

A little history.

3 years ago I was dong some 4 wheelin/camping and I guess I overheated the transmission and lost half of the fluid out a seal in the front (did not read on the dipstick). Filled it back up with 10 qt and wheeled it back to the shop where I felt extremely fortunate they were just able to do a transmission service (fluid, flush, filter) and I was good to go (at first I thought for sure I was stuck 6 mile back where a tow truck could not pull me out). I babied the heck out of the truck the last 2 years because of worrying about the transmission but lately have been a bit of a retard with romping on it (even though the truck is stock I still like the sound of hammering it). I have been feeling for quite some time the transmission is taking longer to shift.

·
Gunnellett
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should the cooler be a replacement for factory cooler or be in series with the factory cooler? If in series, install upstream or downstream of original cooler?

Also, is there a reason to go with one or the other of the 2 tru cool models mentioned?

Thanks!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,042 Posts
The routing should be:

From the front of the trans to the radiator cooler. From the radiator cooler to the aux cooler. From the aux cooler to the rear of the trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts