Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Smokin' Ole
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts are getting harder, as it's getting warmer finally... The HPOP is starting to wine and the o-rings on the fittings finally decided to start actively dripping... Felt like a dead miss today when I started it (30* out today! :eek:). I've been waiting for, and now dreading, this day so I can put bigger injectors and a 6-position chip in it! And a new HPOP. So I've been doing some research and I've got some ideas. I need opinions/suggestions seeing as this is my first diesel... AND I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm fortunate for I can do all the work myself. So best bang for my buck is what I'm striving for. Also, it's my daily driver and tows a 30 ft. travel trailer (can't think of how much it weighs) about 6-7 weekends in the summer.

Idea #1: BDP Stage 1's w/ TS 6 position chip (Stock, Tow, Daily Driver, Performance :evil, High Idle, Lope Idle) and an Adrenaline pump. Would I even need to touch the fuel pump with that? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need regulated return but it's got "Cool Factor x 2" written all over it... then again so do stacks... Does anyone know if the 'Economy' and 'Daily Driver' tunes are that different? The majority of my driving is to and from work on State Highways and County Roads, mostly being 55 mph, at least that's what the sign says... ;)

Idea #2: Swamps 175/146 Single Shots w/ their 6 position chip and an Adrenaline. Fuel system? I know I don't 'need' the oil pump upgrade, but I'm pulling the motor to do the oil pan when I do the injectors so I'd rather only pull it once and do anything stupid while its out anyways. Would you guys recommend putting head studs in as long as I got it out? Maybe even some head gaskets? I'm pretty sure I can get a deal on someone machining the heads. I know their not a problem so to speak in the 7.3L's, but I'd rather just get it done with and check it off my list.

Sorry for the long post (longest since I joined The Nation) but I've waited for quite some time before creating a thread regarding this and gathered what I could. Am I missing anything important? Is there anywhere else I should check out? I got a few months before I make any moves, but I gotta know whats in the the Beer Fund each week! :shrug:

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
i would do studs, comp910 springs and pushrods while its out, would be worth the insurance of knowing you got them.

i would also go with your second option/choice you listed, or get some 238cc hybrids and be done with it, after all you can always get them detuned down to say stage 1's or so.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
from what i've read here, do the studs but don't pull the heads-just do one at a time, them old gaskets are sealed really well, you may want to think about an intercooler but otherwise sounds like something I'd like to have! btw where are you located?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Since you have PMR's I would talk with your shop and tuner that you are going to go with and see what the best setup would be for you.

I know a lot of PMR people pick to go with a 238cc hybrid and detune them because they require less timing in the tuning to make them run and also less oil.

If I was you I would do an Adrenaline HPOP, 38r turbo, 238cc hybrids, good tuning from one of the sponsors here. and some tranny mods to hold it together.

You will not need studs or valve springs because you will not be pushing it to hard because of you having PMR's.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Contact DI, Mini Me's with a 38R is hell of a DD and it's fun to drive. If you are going to pull the motor and freshen it up, I would atleast throw in a set of balance forged rods, comp 910 spring, and port the heads.

·
Smokin' Ole
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the info! I hadn't ever thought of detuning 238cc hybrids and putting a turbo in. After this motor *hits the bed I'm planning on putting another 7.3L (99.5-2000) in this truck and moving my mods from this motor to the "new" one, making it a DD but something I could bring to the track if I wanted to.

I've got a SunCoast DIY kit and a couple of the TransGo valve body mods with a triple-disc converter on my list as well... Should I do the trans before the motor?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Not to mention that Matt of Gearhead with that he sells of 238/80s 38R has tune that will not only get you power but also around 20 mpg highway. That was with 35" IIRC.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Starts are getting harder, as it's getting warmer finally... The HPOP is starting to wine and the o-rings on the fittings finally decided to start actively dripping... Felt like a dead miss today when I started it (30* out today! :eek:). I've been waiting for, and now dreading, this day so I can put bigger injectors and a 6-position chip in it! And a new HPOP. So I've been doing some research and I've got some ideas. I need opinions/suggestions seeing as this is my first diesel... AND I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm fortunate for I can do all the work myself. So best bang for my buck is what I'm striving for. Also, it's my daily driver and tows a 30 ft. travel trailer (can't think of how much it weighs) about 6-7 weekends in the summer.

Idea #1: BDP Stage 1's w/ TS 6 position chip (Stock, Tow, Daily Driver, Performance :evil, High Idle, Lope Idle) and an Adrenaline pump. Would I even need to touch the fuel pump with that? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need regulated return but it's got "Cool Factor x 2" written all over it... then again so do stacks... Does anyone know if the 'Economy' and 'Daily Driver' tunes are that different? The majority of my driving is to and from work on State Highways and County Roads, mostly being 55 mph, at least that's what the sign says... ;)

Idea #2: Swamps 175/146 Single Shots w/ their 6 position chip and an Adrenaline. Fuel system? I know I don't 'need' the oil pump upgrade, but I'm pulling the motor to do the oil pan when I do the injectors so I'd rather only pull it once and do anything stupid while its out anyways. Would you guys recommend putting head studs in as long as I got it out? Maybe even some head gaskets? I'm pretty sure I can get a deal on someone machining the heads. I know their not a problem so to speak in the 7.3L's, but I'd rather just get it done with and check it off my list.

Sorry for the long post (longest since I joined The Nation) but I've waited for quite some time before creating a thread regarding this and gathered what I could. Am I missing anything important? Is there anywhere else I should check out? I got a few months before I make any moves, but I gotta know whats in the the Beer Fund each week! :shrug:

Thanks, Andy
I have all this except i have a stealth and it will be for sale when i pull my motor to transplant a cummins, they are badass and very good towing performance.

happy wrenching:ford:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Talk to the guys at Swamps they can help you out. I have there 200 hybrid injectors and tuning in my pmr truck and this truck is awesome. They have great products and awesome customer service they can take care of you talk to Dave at Swamps

·
Registered
267 Posts
New to the site but I have done some shoping on line looking for injectors. I have found a realy good deal on some DIY injector kits from Rosewood Diesel. I have talked to th owner on numerous occations pretty stand up guy. The HPOP you have chosen is he best bang for the buck, Head studs are always good insurance. If you are looking at doing injectors then you should also look at some time in the near future also doing a turbo. Stage 1's are good but if you want bang for the buch Hybrids are the way to go and have them detuned as they use less oil to run them, thus makeing it easier on you HPOP. A regulated return is good but if your going that far go ahead and get the fuel bowl delete kit as well with a fuel sys. The DIY kit for the Hybrid injectors will run you $1600 at rosewood and $350 for a TS 6 POS chip at rosewood as well. The HPOP I have seen on one of the vendors sites for around $600. Fuel bowl delete kit with regulated return looks to be $1200 from ITP. Head studs I think are running around $600 (ARP) H11's are a little more. I looked at some 38R's going for 1700 for the kits. This should set you up for anything you want to do, if you have any questions Swamps and rosewood diesel both have been very helpful to me. Good luck from Afghanistan going home soon though.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Not to side track but where are you over there? I just got back last month, I was down south in Now Zad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Up north Naray was in Keating though till well you will have to look online, can't talk to much about it gag if you understand. Not to bad right now though. Ciant wait to see Colorado again.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
New to the site but I have done some shoping on line looking for injectors. I have found a realy good deal on some DIY injector kits from Rosewood Diesel. I have talked to th owner on numerous occations pretty stand up guy. The HPOP you have chosen is he best bang for the buck, Head studs are always good insurance. If you are looking at doing injectors then you should also look at some time in the near future also doing a turbo. Stage 1's are good but if you want bang for the buch Hybrids are the way to go and have them detuned as they use less oil to run them, thus makeing it easier on you HPOP. A regulated return is good but if your going that far go ahead and get the fuel bowl delete kit as well with a fuel sys. The DIY kit for the Hybrid injectors will run you $1600 at rosewood and $350 for a TS 6 POS chip at rosewood as well. The HPOP I have seen on one of the vendors sites for around $600. Fuel bowl delete kit with regulated return looks to be $1200 from ITP. Head studs I think are running around $600 (ARP) H11's are a little more. I looked at some 38R's going for 1700 for the kits. This should set you up for anything you want to do, if you have any questions Swamps and rosewood diesel both have been very helpful to me. Good luck from Afghanistan going home soon though.
Not quite $1200.00, more like $570.00 ITP 7.3L Regulated Return Kit

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
if you add the fuel lab pump, and tank kits etc ..the itp system will get close to that ..but you will have a full system, not just a rr.

but give bean a call, talk to about a package, then do the same at swamps,
itp etc.. they are all good people and can give you a better bottom dollar figure over the phone after then know exactly what you want/need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts