Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time we've come across something like this... as we pumped it out, we saw that it was kinda slimy like a gel rather than just thick oil. It was like thick snot.

I'll see about getting a pic or video my dad took. This is what we used. Always made good products:

·
MotherHucker
91 Posts
Might have been a high weight blend. The stuff in my ranger (gets ABUSED) was almost too thick to fill up the rear end I had to use an electric pump.

·
Administrator
8,471 Posts
was it cold? i have seen gear lube that was cold and look more like axle grease than oil.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it never got below 40F that morning, not sure what the phase change temp is for heavier oils. it didn't wax up and become opaque like diesel does when i gells up. it was still clear, and pumpable which was strange lol! globs of snot plopping out haha!

·
MotherHucker
91 Posts
How long until you compare it to semen?

Stringy petroleum product? Something mixed in with it, maybe limited slip additive?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was afraid i would get banned lol, cause as you can see i like to post pictures ... one thing leads to another, before you know it i've got an infraction and my pics get deleted hahaha!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stringy petroleum product? Something mixed in with it, maybe limited slip additive?
that's something i'd thought of, maybe just another additive for this or that, but i couldn't imagine it doing that though!

it's just basic gear oil best i know. i'll have to check that out when i get back over to the shop

·
MotherHucker
91 Posts
If you really care, heat some of the gel fluid up and see if it thins out. If it does. Most likely an additive. If not, interesting...

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i kinda care, cause we had to go ahead and use it in a truck lol! matter fact, i'm thinking about dipping into that case soon to see. the temp was 130F or so after the 150 mile trip back. it must be working just fine, cause i checked it a week ago and it was 110 after 6 miles of city driving

·
MotherHucker
91 Posts
Gearing is pretty durable, the oil is almost not important as long as its there. One time we lost all the seals on a race trucks rear end. Jammed every oil we had in there to keep it topped off. Started packing bearing grease and WD40 into the housing and the gearing survived the 145 mile off-road race. its still in the truck now actually, with new seals. Lol

·
MotherHucker
91 Posts
Yeah, I'd throw some 85w or 90w in there, put a new gasket on the cover and run it. If you ever blow up a rear end, they are LOUD but still limp-home-able most of the time. Itll sound like a low flying spaceship at speed, unless you knock off a tooth, then it'll go CLUNK CLUNK.... Still will drive though. Only once have my friends and I blown a rear end to where we couldnt move the truck. But at that point, the rear end wasn't even attached anymore! haha

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
So that's your new gear oil? For some reason I was thinking it was your old stuff.
If it was the new stuff, maybe head back to tractor supply and look at another 5 gallon pail to see if it's the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts