Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking to buy a 5th wheel in the next year looking at about 42ft to live in Florida mainly but occasionally take it up to Maine for vacation once a year. Camper that I'm looking at is 16k fully loaded and I'm curious if my new to me 97' F-350 drw is up to the task... it is a cab & chassis regular cab model with an all aluminum flatbed 11,000lb gvwr. I've tried looking up the gcvwr but can't seem to find it for this particular model.

Truck has new motor rebuilt trans with billet torque converter upgraded f-450 spring pack (yes it rides like a brick s*it house lol) looking to do a 6 position with beans tunes. Also looking to do a few other mods to help the power end. Here's a pic of the truck let me know what y'all think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as I'm aware I don't think they gave them gcwr back then.

I would also be curious to know as we live in a 38 ft 5er in Florida and just got a 94.5 cclb drw. We don't travel much yet but will in another year or 2 once she finishes school.

Ours is a montana mountaineer with 5 slides and front living room that fully loaded is 16k also. From what I gathered our floor plan is fairly light in the nose (2.5k ish) compared to other layouts so I'm not as much worried about pin weight after maybe some helper bags.

Got the truck sooner than later so I'll have times to do a few of the necessary upgrades. It's all stock for now with a zf5 and 4.10s. Not looking to fly down the highway just get there in my beautiful obs. Always wanted it. And the journey is half the fun. Good luck and hopefully the experts will chime in soon. Let us know how the first tow goes for sure. Which one are you looking at?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I'm aware I don't think they gave them gcwr back then.

I would also be curious to know as we live in a 38 ft 5er in Florida and just got a 94.5 cclb drw. We don't travel much yet but will in another year or 2 once she finishes school.

Ours is a montana mountaineer with 5 slides and front living room that fully loaded is 16k also. From what I gathered our floor plan is fairly light in the nose (2.5k ish) compared to other layouts so I'm not as much worried about pin weight after maybe some helper bags.

Got the truck sooner than later so I'll have times to do a few of the necessary upgrades. It's all stock for now with a zf5 and 4.10s. Not looking to fly down the highway just get there in my beautiful obs. Always wanted it. And the journey is half the fun. Good luck and hopefully the experts will chime in soon. Let us know how the first tow goes for sure. Which one are you looking at?

Nice! I also have 4:10's on mine only with auto trans. I'm looking at possibly the open range roamer 430. Hitch weight is 2350lbs and overall fully loaded 16,090lbs. When I stopped by the dealership I asked them and they just looked at the truck and said you can haul anything on the lot lmao. From what i can tell far he's probally right but I just wanna make sure lol.

As far as living in yours how do you like it? I've just recently been turned on to the idea I'm just in the research phase right now

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where in Florida are you? One thing to remember is the hitch weight they give is for an empty trailer so obviously it'll go up depending on how you're loaded.

When we picked ours up from lazydays they were very adamant about us having enough truck to tow it safely and wouldn't let me take it with anything less than a 2007 or up so I used dads 2012 because I still had the bronco.

We absolutely love living in ours. We kind of miss having a yard and garage. We have 2 65lb dogs and the only real difference is that we definitely enjoy our time outside of the house more now. A long rainy weekend gets us feeling pent up. Just more reason to go see some nature. Everyone in the parks are super friendly and they all live in vacation time. I can't leave for work without waving 15 times haha. We get a ton of comments on how young we are for living in an rv. I just tell people were on the reverse retirement plan. After school she wants to be a travel nurse for a few years so we can get paid to see the country. I'll be working odd jobs until we settle and I can set up a new shop.

We actually save about 400 bucks a month with rv payments and lot rent vs renting a decent house around here. Best part is when we wanna move we just push a button and roll and take home with us.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First thing you'll want to do is get a set of gauges for trans temp, egt's, fuel and maybe boost just to keep an eye on the working part while you're pulling. Weight rating of your axles could also come into play when you're pulling heavy if they wanna stop you. I'm currently daydreaming on an 05 axle swap at some point

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in Florida are you? One thing to remember is the hitch weight they give is for an empty trailer so obviously it'll go up depending on how you're loaded.

When we picked ours up from lazydays they were very adamant about us having enough truck to tow it safely and wouldn't let me take it with anything less than a 2007 or up so I used dads 2012 because I still had the bronco.

We absolutely love living in ours. We kind of miss having a yard and garage. We have 2 65lb dogs and the only real difference is that we definitely enjoy our time outside of the house more now. A long rainy weekend gets us feeling pent up. Just more reason to go see some nature. Everyone in the parks are super friendly and they all live in vacation time. I can't leave for work without waving 15 times haha. We get a ton of comments on how young we are for living in an rv. I just tell people were on the reverse retirement plan. After school she wants to be a travel nurse for a few years so we can get paid to see the country. I'll be working odd jobs until we settle and I can set up a new shop.

We actually save about 400 bucks a month with rv payments and lot rent vs renting a decent house around here. Best part is when we wanna move we just push a button and roll and take home with us.

See that's what I like to hear I'm 29 going on 30 in December(ugh) and I like the ability to be mobile. I'm single and I used to be an OTR driver so I like to travel. I work somewhat local now (southeast). I live in Ocala now in a house that I rarely see with a roommate.

Every week it's come home cut the grass and take care of the house, as the roommate is my tenant lol. After talking to my landlord he's offering a spot on his 15 acres with everything included cable,internet, electric for 125 a month so I'm just over here like why the hell not lol.

What about you where are you at in fl?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First thing you'll want to do is get a set of gauges for trans temp, egt's, fuel and maybe boost just to keep an eye on the working part while you're pulling. Weight rating of your axles could also come into play when you're pulling heavy if they wanna stop you. I'm currently daydreaming on an 05 axle swap at some point

Yes sir I just installed obd2 Bluetooth with torque on a cheap android tablet and it's awesome. I'm no stranger to pulling as my full time job is hauling equipment for a construction company all over the south east

·
Registered
46 Posts
We were living in Clearwater and moved about 45 minutes north into port Richey. I just turned 29 in april and she's 27. Glad we took the leap every day. Downsizing was a bit more intensive than I expected but it's really nice getting rid of all the extra junk in life. We can let our rv get completely trashed on the inside and within an hour we can be back to spotless and wiped down and grilling. So much less stress. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Wish I had done it when I was single! Haha.

We get out to Ocala every few weekends to do some tent camping and hiking in the national forest and take advantage of all the springs up there. Wouldn't mind getting a little closer honestly. One day we'll be in the mountains. Its too Damn hot for a penguin!

For 125 a month you can't beat it. I thought our 400 a month was a steal with just enough room for our 2 cars and a little patio. Its a lot more expensive down here. I tell everyone I know to get into the mobile life. When you get into the bigger 5ers it's got more room than a decent NY apartment.

I've got some gauges on the pillar and use a snap on red brick to check on everything from time to time. Exhaust and I think I'll be going the Bluetooth route soon. I've always thought about getting into big trucking. I'm a school bus mechanic right now but it gets monotonous quick. I'd rather be driving.

·
Project Shamu
2,419 Posts
I've read several times the GCVWR for all F350 and F-Super duty trucks with 4.10 gears is 20,000lbs. And the 3.55 trucks are at 17,500 i think? I'm positive on the 4.10 being 20,000lbs as that is what I have as well.

So if that trailer is 16,000 without any of your chit in it, you better hope that truck only weighs 3,000lbs!!! lol

In all reality, I've seen many 7.3's exceeding 30,000lbs GCVWR. They have extensive mods to chassis, brakes, suspension, motor and trans though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were living in Clearwater and moved about 45 minutes north into port Richey. I just turned 29 in april and she's 27. Glad we took the leap every day. Downsizing was a bit more intensive than I expected but it's really nice getting rid of all the extra junk in life. We can let our rv get completely trashed on the inside and within an hour we can be back to spotless and wiped down and grilling. So much less stress. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Wish I had done it when I was single! Haha.

We get out to Ocala every few weekends to do some tent camping and hiking in the national forest and take advantage of all the springs up there. Wouldn't mind getting a little closer honestly. One day we'll be in the mountains. Its too Damn hot for a penguin!

For 125 a month you can't beat it. I thought our 400 a month was a steal with just enough room for our 2 cars and a little patio. Its a lot more expensive down here. I tell everyone I know to get into the mobile life. When you get into the bigger 5ers it's got more room than a decent NY apartment.

I've got some gauges on the pillar and use a snap on red brick to check on everything from time to time. Exhaust and I think I'll be going the Bluetooth route soon. I've always thought about getting into big trucking. I'm a school bus mechanic right now but it gets monotonous quick. I'd rather be driving.

Yea I'm really looking forward to it as for driving it has its ups and downs just like anything I'm actually trying to get out of it and become a crane operator I finally got some people in the industry that's trying to get me in and if that's the case the 5th wheel would be ideal that way I can chase the refinery shut downs (huge money)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've read several times the GCVWR for all F350 and F-Super duty trucks with 4.10 gears is 20,000lbs. And the 3.55 trucks are at 17,500 i think? I'm positive on the 4.10 being 20,000lbs as that is what I have as well.

So if that trailer is 16,000 without any of your chit in it, you better hope that truck only weighs 3,000lbs!!! lol

In all reality, I've seen many 7.3's exceeding 30,000lbs GCVWR. They have extensive mods to chassis, brakes, suspension, motor and trans though.
One thing I haven't really found much on is chassis reinforcement. What would one shoot for when trying to strengthen these big long trucks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That's pretty close to what I kinda figured. I bought the truck to pull a gooseneck on the side for a lil extra cash so my plans involved building up the truck so it handle around 30k on a semi regular basis. Thank you man

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
With a 16K trailer you are going to be around 5K over the legal limits of your truck.

It isn't a question of if it will tow it but should you tow it.

Here is a link to some charts from another web site that you can look at.

·
Project Shamu
2,419 Posts
Ive read elsewhere as well that fords GCVWR isn't law either.

Law is with GVWR. Which my door sticker says mine is 9200lbs. So if the truck weighed 6500lbs, that leaves me 2700lbs of available tongue weight. Assuming the trailer has 15% of tongue weight, the truck should be legally allowed to tow 18,000lbs. Or 24,500 lbs GCVW.

This is also not including passengers, gear, fuel etc, so numbers may vary a little, but still, 18,000lbs vs Fords 12,500lbs.

I havent looked into if that is true or not, but it does seem plausible?

Edit: Also that page you posted Bugman, it says GCVWR is 20,000 lbs, but trailer weight limit is only 12,500 for all vehicles with 4.10 gears. Now like in my situation, my truck weighs 6500 lbs, and going off of GCVWR, that means i could pull 13,500lbs according to Ford? What if the truck weighed 5,000lbs? Does that mean i could pull 15,000lbs legally? What if the truck weighed 10,000lbs? Does that still mean i could pull 12,500? Even though it puts me over the 20,000 lbs GCVWR?

I'm trying to look in the California Penal Code and see if thats a grey area, or what they do If they think you are overweight...

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
To the OP you would actually be better off asking this question over on a RV forum where the member will be speaking from experience. But a 16K trailer is one of the reasons that Ford came out with the F450 with a bed. It looks like a normal truck but it is a beast for towing.

Lt I pity you living in the grand state of California. I have heard of stories where once the CHP has you pulled over they will call in the portable scales and weigh you right there. Then if you are over they will tell you to go get a truck that has the weight capacity to tow the trailer that is behind you. Mind you I heard these stories and not experienced them. The last time that I was in California was way back in 1985 and I have no desire to go back.

·
Project Shamu
2,419 Posts
To the OP you would actually be better off asking this question over on a RV forum where the member will be speaking from experience. But a 16K trailer is one of the reasons that Ford came out with the F450 with a bed. It looks like a normal truck but it is a beast for towing.

Lt I pity you living in the grand state of California. I have heard of stories where once the CHP has you pulled over they will call in the portable scales and weigh you right there. Then if you are over they will tell you to go get a truck that has the weight capacity to tow the trailer that is behind you. Mind you I heard these stories and not experienced them. The last time that I was in California was way back in 1985 and I have no desire to go back.
Trust me, if you havent needed to come to California since '85, then you shouldn't start. There is nothing to be desired here... I just cant leave family. Especially with just having a 5 week old daughter.

And yes, they will call out the portable scales to come out and weigh me, hence why if I get pulled over and they "think" im overweight, I want to be sure that when it comes out at 22,000 lbs GCVW, they're not going to make a big deal out of it.

That is one law I will NOT break here, I've heard of vehicles getting impounded over it as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts