Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up swapping a 7.3L idi into a 2000 f550 super duty. The engine runs and runs well in its new home but the gauges dont work. I know the tach wouldnt work, but thought the temp gauge would work if i used the powerstroke temp sensor.

Wasnt able to use the powerstroke oil pressure switch it is a oring boss fitting, the idi is npt. But the 92 f350 uses a dummy gauge like the 2000 f550, so the pressure switch from the idi should work.

The fuel gauge and the voltmeter both are working.

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
the temp and oil gauges are computer triggered so they will not work with the idi
get an under dash gauge panel with aftermarket gauges, and mount it in a visible place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do the Cummins guys keep their stock gauges working? I doubt the Powerstroke pcm can control Cummins especially the older mechanical Cummins that are self contained much like the idi.
I know the idi dont use the pcm when it comes to diesels you cant get much more simplistic than the IDI. But i was under the impression the pcm would still work the cluster as long as it was seeing inputs from the sensors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think i know what may be going on, the psd fuel pump and the pcm share a fuse in tge power distribution box under the hood dont they?
Because i pulled the relay for the IDM, the fuse for the IDM, and the fuse for the fuel pump to disable the factory pump since it is now bypassed with a new fuel line.

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
no idea, i have never messed with swapping an older engine in a newer truck.

and i do not mess with cummings engines at all except to run them over the scales at the scrap yard

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i have it solved, the pcm and fuel pump do seem to share a fuse. I also had yo fix a broken wire at the 42 pin plug for the oil pressure gauge. The idi oil pressure switch does work with the psd pcm.
Now the only issue i have is i cant seem to get the alternator to charge.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
What alt are you running?
Is it a 3g One? Maybe toss up a pic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leece Neville (prestolite) 165 amp ambulance package. The idi came from a retired military ambulance.

·
Modded by a Chevy Express
425 Posts
Did the 2000 have dual alternators? Dual alternators are PCM controlled, so you may need to do a bit of rewiring with the 92 harness to get it to charge.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
The 1g alternator is externally regulated and the 3g/4g alts are internally regulated. So I'm not sure what comes on an ambulance. A pic of the connectors will help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not mine but still is the same alternator I have. I wont be up at the shop until Monday, but these conection s are the same way i have it connected, except I only have one 4ga wire coming off of the positive terminal that runs up to the start solenoid. But i have a ground wire, and the exciter wire conected to a switched power source from the ignition switch. The Leece Neville has its own regulator and dont use the remote regulator the 1G does

I'm starting to honestly think the alternator maybe dead, or possible a the regulator failed on the alternator.

It was part of the ambulance prep package from Ford.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it working needs to have a good ground connection to work. It's charging at 14.4 volts now.
Going to buy an adapter to drive the stock tach with the alternator, then everything will be working the way it should.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Sweet. Glad she is running. Now post up some pics. Sounds like it was a pain to get it running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will try to get some this weekend.
Wasn't to hard to get it running, the old idi's are about as simplistic as they come. Supply 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid and it will run. Most engine function i wired them to toggle switches for the fuel heater, and the high idle & timing advance, wired up the glow plugs to a push button and opted for the AC delco 12G plugs due to them being self regulating and work on 12V so they wont burn out if you heat them a few seconds to long. Managed to wire the fuel shut off to the ignition switch.

Happy with how it runs now though im thinking it maybe needing injectors soon, has an intermitent miss, hoping just running it and injector cleaner will fix that, because the more it runs the better it seems to run.

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
pull the fuel filter and dump it out. fill with atf and put back on. start engine and let idle for 30-45 seconds, then shut off. let it sit minimum 12 hours, 24 is better. fire it up and run it like you stole it.
the atf will clean out any junk in the pump or injectors. running it hard burns the crap off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will have to try that. I did change the fuel filter, put a can of seafoam and toped it off with dieselkleen put it back on ler it run for 2 minutes then shut it down and let it sit for about 4 four hours, then drove it around for 30 minutes. Did make a noticable change in idle quality, and the miss wasnt nearly as bad at around 1200-1400 rpm, and the more it runs the beter it seems to run. Though notice under load it completely quit missing and runs smooth.

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
sounds like a sticky injector from sitting.
it may clear up on it's own

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The engine did do alot of sitting in the last 10 years, only ran to move it if it was in the way of something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts