Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post! Very new to all the diesel power, and frankly i have fallin in love!! I found my new duck truck. LOL. My question is how modified does a truck have to be before you go to the extent of adding gauges and sensors to monitor your engine? I plan on puting a K&N airflow kit. a 4" exhaust and maybe a tony wildman system! Thats probably it until i get to know these trucks a little better!! Thanks for any help and input!!

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
dont waste ur money an a k&n buy an s&b they are far better.... and if u plan on tuning then i would highly recomend gauges.. what exactly is the pickup... fill out ur signature

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would buy guages before installing any chip or programmer, as for intake and exhaust I would not worry about guages. You porbably are safe running a very low tune and not towing but anything more than that you definitly need an egt guage at the least!

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Yea i havent filled out to much on here yet. I have a 2000 F250 7.3. 67,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Or if u want to go a cheaper route make ur own intake w/ 4 in exhaust tubing and NAPA 6637 filter and if it was me id do guages right away especially if u got an auto tranny but just my .02

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great old river town of Havana. With the gauges the whole drillig into my manifold for the egt scares the bejesus outa me. is it difficult?

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
nope.the shavings fall down on your face.just for added insurance i used a vacume and put up to the whole i tapped.very simple.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Not bad, have a look at dieselmanor, they sell gauges but also have a great install thread.

Chipwise I recomend a quality tuner and sponser off of here, you won't find a more 7.3 educated group then beans diesel performance, diesel innovations, powerhungry perfor,ance, gearhead, swamps, itp diesel,dptuner, or tony wildman.

Personally I like beans dyno proven/based tunes but all the others are great.
Someone like bean,itp,di etc may beable to selll you a whole kit.
Gauges ,intake exhuast etc cheaper, since they can spread the cost out and shipping will be cheaper as well.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Btw welcome to the site

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks alot! There are just a ton of questions i have about well.... everything. Thanks for the tips and info. I will look these guys up and see what they can do about a system for me. Are ther any other sensors that need to be installed other than the egt for these tuners and such?

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was reading another blog and a guy was talking about cheap upgrades and i havent a clue what any of this stuff is. Anyone know?? "fpr shim, 10k mod, pre pump kit, harpoon mod, hutch mod, ccv mod, aih delete, un plug waste gate, foil delete all of these mods cost next to nothing " ?????

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check this site out. It has good write ups on doing some good cheap mods.

The pre-pump mods are bang for the buck the best insurance you can get for your fuel system.

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages

Be careful, be very careful. Once you catch PMS (Powerstroke Modification Syndrome), there is absolutely no cure for it. The biggest symptom is a full credit card and an empty wallet.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think im getting it!!! :eek:

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Welcome to the Nation...These guys are giving some great advice. Im going to also throw in my two cents and i'm sure most around here will agree on most.

1. Guages- you never can know too much about whats going.
2. Intake- Diesels need lots of air, IMO 6637 is best bang for buck.
3. Exhaust- Again, diesels need to move air, the less restrictions the more powa.
4. TS chip- Make sure it has custom tunes. Lots of site sponsors can write you up something that will make you more than happy.
5. Wicked Wheel- The stock compressor wheel sucks and surge will kill your turbo
6. Tranny- 4R100's can't handle much more than stock power. A good TC and VB will do the trick and make it last.

The rest is up to you. It's almost never ending. As for the DIY projects, do some research on them and try them out. Most DIY mods don't do anything at but they sure as heck don't hurt either.

STAY AWAY FROM RESISTOR MODS and enjoy.:D

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks alot. i will heed the advice!!!!

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what would i be looking for if i was to get a torque converter!?

·
Dieselis' Maximus
113 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I have the Napa 6637 its great.
I skimped on the exhaust by going with a Muffler Delete. im upgrading here soon. but I like the straight pipe.

Got my gauges at Diesel Manor. Came in a nice kit with good destructions.

got my valve Body from Brian at BTS Best mod to date IMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts