Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some looking and everyone says guages first. Im no sure how deep i wanna go with engine mods but i plan on 4" exhaust, intake and tony wildman chip! i dont plan on doing any racing or dragging or anything like that i just want some more power. i really dont even pull much. A small trailer and a boat once in a while. is it really necesary to still install gauges? Just trying to get an opinion from everyone.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
yes.

stock my 97 could hit 1100 on a good run.

plus gauges can help you figure out problems with your truck such as a boost leak, high egts and high trans temp. dont know about you but when Im pulling a trailer I wanna know how warm the trans is getting.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok then. another question. will i need to to get and sensors if i get the TW chip or will it come with everthing i need? Im getting ready to put the exhaust on, will i need to put a sensor on it up around the turbo for the pyro? Im just so new to this stuff. Learning tons by the hour!! lol

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
depends on where you order from, i dont know how trans temps hook up seeing as every truck im around is a manual, but the pyro should be tapped into the drivers side manifold just before the flange/connection for the up pipe leading to the turbo, theres a couple write ups on here i can find the link for if you need them.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i have seen the write ups for them. which monitors should i use and what ranges are good and bad? meaning temps in such.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
a 35# boost gauge should do you fine, trans temp gauges i believe all have the same range, a 1600* pyro will be fine. pyro temps over 1200 should not be sustained for long, trans temps i have no clue on, boost depends on how long you want the turbo to live and if it can push it up beyond its max #.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
is it really necesary to still install gauges? Just trying to get an opinion from everyone.
To be safe you need a pyro before you install a chip. There is no reason to have gauges before an exhaust or intake.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Ok then. another question. will i need to to get and sensors if i get the TW chip or will it come with everthing i need? Im getting ready to put the exhaust on, will i need to put a sensor on it up around the turbo for the pyro? Im just so new to this stuff. Learning tons by the hour!! lol
If your just getting a chip from tony then no it wont come with any sensors or anything.

I got my gauges from another site sponsor. pure diesel power super duty gauge package

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then that is what i will get! Looks sort of cool too. it gives me three options for the boost. Standard tap and a couple others. Not sure which i need to go with or which is easier or better.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i got my gauges from ITP DIESEL... came with everything!! put your pyro in the drivers side exhaust manifold.. think you get better readings or more accurate pre turbo then post turbo (down pipe)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Guages FIRST. Any time you chip a truck you want to monitor the egt for sure. It will save your motor. Here in the desert temps with my trailer (12K+) on a hard pull I'll run mine 1250-1300 for a few miles and have seen 1400 a few times passing a semi for short periods. Try to keep trans under 210-220

The trans sender if it's a 4r100 there's a plug on driver's side just in front of the shifter. Remove this plug and install the sender. The probe for the pyro should be in the driver's side exh manifold. Bottom where it starts to turn upward. Drill and tap threads and install. After installing the bung take a wire and stick it in, mark the wire at the end of the bung. Set the probe at about half that distance. You want the end of the probe in the center of the manifold. Electrical is elementary stuff. Just make sure you find a good ground source.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i was to get two gauges which ones are most improtant? the egt and trans gauge??? Or would i need three?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
pyro and trans are a neccessity and boost is always nice to know whether your working your turbo to hard.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Thanks.!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Get all three, then there will be no guessing. The boost guage can be connected to a T in the map sensor line. My Autometer's came with the fittings and hose and plastic tubing. Everything you need will come with them. I would suggest contacting Dennis @ ITP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts