Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
The Fireman
Joined
·
4,810 Posts
If thats the danger zone then call me Maverick cause I been flyin all through that bad boy LOL

Added a Tru-Cool 2 weekends ago and never get above 160 no matter the conditions. Before It would level out at about 195.
:eek: Thats crazy I would flip out if mine ever got that hot. :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
Won't the transmission seals start to leak at ~210?
 

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
Joined
·
12,082 Posts
Won't the transmission seals start to leak at ~210?
Nope. Most of the info you see repeated is VERY out dated and is not applicable to our trucks.
 

·
"mad cow" member
Joined
·
642 Posts
It is normal for the trans to run 80 ~ 100 above ambient temperature.

If you've never seen 195 or above I'd make sure you don't have a inaccurate / bad gauge or temp sender.

All mine run 180~210 during the summer with a 6.0 cooler. I'd say between 180 ~ 210 = 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time = 5% cooler 5% hotter.
 

·
The Fireman
Joined
·
4,810 Posts
It is normal for the trans to run 80 ~ 100 above ambient temperature.

If you've never seen 195 or above I'd make sure you don't have a inaccurate / bad gauge or temp sender.

All mine run 180~210 during the summer with a 6.0 cooler. I'd say between 180 ~ 210 = 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time = 5% cooler 5% hotter.
I don't think I have a bad sending unit because i does get up to 150 or so in the summer but hot here in the summer is 90 degrees LOL
 

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
Joined
·
12,082 Posts
I don't think I have a bad sending unit because i does get up to 150 or so in the summer but hot here in the summer is 90 degrees LOL

I assume your probe is in the test port? You have access to AE to see what the internal temp is? at 90* air temp mine will be in the 170 range most times. Winter time it wil be in the 130 range after about 100 miles or so.


hummm I cant recall if the 99-99.5 had the tranny temp in the trans or not...
 

·
The Fireman
Joined
·
4,810 Posts
I assume your probe is in the test port? You have access to AE to see what the internal temp is? at 90* air temp mine will be in the 170 range most times. Winter time it wil be in the 130 range after about 100 miles or so.


hummm I cant recall if the 99-99.5 had the tranny temp in the trans or not...
Yes the probe is in the test port and no I don't have AE but my tranny guy when he rebuilt it had a snap on scan tool that told the temp and it was died on with the gauge. Maybe I just have a good tranny that don't over heat :D
 

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
Joined
·
12,082 Posts
Yes the probe is in the test port and no I don't have AE but my tranny guy when he rebuilt it had a snap on scan tool that told the temp and it was died on with the gauge. Maybe I just have a good tranny that don't over heat :D

Proper operation temp and over heating are two different things...:poke:

Mine has never gone to anything near overheating... Yours runs too cool...LOL


But you are just too cool...:blah::poke:LOL
 

·
I Wanna Go Fast
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So i was thinking to myself to day at work and I remembered that I put in the 203 degree thermostat so i wonder if that is affecting the tranny temps in a negative. but I ,eam come on by 50 or so degrees that does seem like alot to my. but I guess it is time for my built tranny and external tranny cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I just went round and round with tranny temp. I swapped my 6-speed out for an auto. I got the original cooling lines with the auto. I bought a cheap cooler to put on it to start with and I bought a new PI Stallion from Brian at BTS. The next day after I put it in, I headed out to Bristol, TN from AL. It was about 85 degress and my trans was running about 195 at 80 mph. I pulled into a rest area and when I went to back up, the TC tried to lock up. I finished the trip just fine at 190-200 degress.

I drove the truck like this for three months trying a couple different TC's from Brian to get the stall right. I got tired of swapping TC's and seeing no change in stall speed so I called Brian for an appoinment to let him fool with it. I bought a 6.0 L cooler right before I went up there and put it on the day before I left. It ran 200-210 degrees for 520 miles up to Lead Hill, AR. Brian rode in the truck and we decided to tighten the TC some. He installed a 400 rpm lower stall TC and got the stall fixed. He was noticing the trans temp, which was 180 driving around his place. He said it was too hot, so he went to work on trying to find the problem.

He checked the bypass tube and found it to be bad and replaced it. It was still bypassing fluid, so he cleaned all the lines and blew out the radiator trans cooler. He found the rad trans cooler was clogged up with something. I had a brand new 6.0L cooler, so we didn't bother checking that. We done another test drive and the trans was still 180. We drove it back in and I mentioned checking the rubber lines on the cooler. We dropped the crash bar under the cooler and one of the lines was kinked shut.

Brian installed his 6.0L cooler hose kit and we took the truck for a drive and in two miles the temp went from 180 down to 150 and stayed that way all the way back from AR. The TC lock up issue backing up went away and now all is good. I'm not scared of running 180-190 tranny temps, but with the 6.0L cooler, a good trans should run 130-150 degrees. This was all done last Friday.
 

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
Joined
·
965 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Top