Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boost gauge, a egt gauge, and a trans temp gauge. What are pretty common numbers to look for and what numbers are bad?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
EGT - cruising bout 750 over 1200 bad
Trans never over 150 over 185 bad
Boost cruising 2-5psi over 35psi bad

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks, had a general idea but decided after having the gauges for a couple weeks that they were worthless without knowing where things should be:doh:

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
EGT - cruising bout 750 over 1200 bad
Trans never over 150 over 185 bad
Boost cruising 2-5psi over 35psi bad
I disagree on the tranny temp. 185* ain't gonna cause any damage. Personally I doubt you will ever see that kind of temp in the hills of OK though unless you are towing real heavy and slow. I have been over 185* more times than I can count and that was even with my stock tranny. I have even had it go over 250* about a dozen times and my fluid was still clean when I put the BTS in. In no way would I recomend those temps and since the BTS went in I put in a larger cooler but it is still quite easy to push it over 185* towing heavy up mountain roads.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yeah never over 210 is a more realistic number for trans temp.....

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o ok thanks, I am going to pull my race trailor pretty far this weekend Ill try to keep a good eye on numbers. At least I have a better clue of the bad places now.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I also would like to say that after talking to a guy on here and FTE who is a Ford Tranny Guru, he told me 220* is the number to look for, never over 250*

Just my .02

·
Still learning
577 Posts
what about oil temp and water temp?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also would like to say that after talking to a guy on here and FTE who is a Ford Tranny Guru, he told me 220* is the number to look for, never over 250*

Just my .02
agreed
yes as far as your trans temp goes just cruising on flat interstate with your trailer you will probably be between 155-190, on the hills you would be between 170-210, 220 if you were romping on it, and over 220 means youre pushing to hard over 230 means something is wrong and over 238 means you need to stop like asap and and anything over that is epically dire

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k thanks for the updated info cause I was hauling a trailor the other day that had my tranny temp between 200 and 220 on the hills. It was making me sorta paranoid, but I was trying to keep up with some other guys.

·
Registered
384 Posts
thoes temps are ok tranny pan would help

·
Registered
448 Posts
its all about time, how long you run 220 is the imprtant part, a twelve hour cross country cruise at 220 is a major issue where pulling through a canyon for one hour at 220 is no big deal.

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is an hour and a half trip that I will probably start making weekly, and it definitely wasnt 220 the whole time. but since it could become a weekly trip would a trans cooler help much you think, or what is a trans pan?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Transcooler will help you a bunch. Trucool from Dieselsite. 120 bucks. almost twice the size of your factory cooler.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
An auxilliary trans cooler will definitely help. The v-10 or 6.0 cooler seems to be real common to use as it is gigantic. I have a hayden dawg cooler/fan combo on my truck as it was part of the trans deal and with reworking my entire exhaust Sunday and getting the downpipe away from the trans along with some exhaust shielding I ran 500 miles today and the highest I could get the temps were 165. My trans also has a B&M deep pan on it which holds an extra gallon of fluid. There is controversy over whether or not the deep pans help or not but I would imagine the extra gallon of fluid and the fact that the pan is aluminum which dissipates heat better than steel would have to help to some degree if only marginal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts