Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck was averaging 11 to 13 a gallon acording to my monitor on the roof and latley my milage has decreased to 8 to 9 mpg. All i have done is rotate my tires and straight pipe it i added a bottle of lucas additive too? Any ideas or recomendations? :confused:

·
Diffrent Strokes
350 Posts
The Lucas additive is great for gas motors but you might want to do some research on it. You will lose some lubrication with it. Stanadyne is one of the best or something from your local Ford dealer. Winter fuel mix will affect it and also if your running 15-40 oil its going to kill your fuel. I switched to Rotella synthetic 10-30 and picked up 2.5 mpg so far. Also, warmimg up the truck is obviously going to knock down fuel mialage.

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i didnt realize that they change the fuel here, i mean it makes sense. as for the warm up part that also makes sense but i dont really have it sittin and warming up long. The fuel milage decrease has only been over my past 2 to 3 tanks i jus replaced my fuel filters too, but still had got over 12 on the first tank after the change... im lost it was just such a sudden mpg drop.

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
Probably not your prob but did you use the Heavy duty lucas? or the synthetic? The HD it NOT to be used in the powerstrokes.
Our fuel mileage dropped about 1.5-2mpg in the last month or so as well. Like said above winter fuel, plus a few minutes of warm up time adds up fast.

·
1,084 Posts
Winter blend fuel
Denser air
People drive crazy in the snow
Lots of 4x4 because Global Warming ain't helping the East Coast.

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha yea global warming lol. What kinda mpg were yall gettin stock? im hoping to get this thing in the 18-20+mpg range this possible?

·
brandon
778 Posts
my 02 that is in my sig always got 19-21 on the road and about 14-15 intown. But the cc and 4x4 kills mpg. I am seeing 14 intown and 17 hiway out of the new one

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well didnt the 7.3l get better mileage? anyone with the 6.0l wat were yall getting? my mpg is steadily goin down still now im about 8 flat with me babying it.

·
Diffrent Strokes
350 Posts
There is something wrong then. Check the exhaust manifolds for broken studs, check the turbo piping, intercooler, and boots for leaks. Im guessing some kind of boost leak or maybe clogged air or fuel filters. Probably wouldnt hurt to run some Stanadyne fuel injector cleaner. Also check the brakes and make sure they are not dragging. I realy dont know but Im just trying to give out ideas.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have notice a substantial fuel mpg drop as well lately. Usually get around 12 or so in town but right now I'm struggling to stay at 11! Most people I have heard said not to trust the in dash monitor but when I did it
by hand, it was about .2 mpg lower. I got 10.8 last tank and Babying it to stay at 11 right now! I also run either Lucas or Diesel Kleen.

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i just piked up diesel kleen bout to drop some in there and see what i get. I looked under the hood and didnt see anyting outta the ordinary started it up too didnt hear anything random either. i need yall to jus come up here and tear this thing apart for me and rebuild it lol ill provide the beer n grub lol.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
One of our work trucks started doing that and then a fuel line busted. Just an idea, we had a small leak. But it was a dodge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have noticed this in my 04 6.0 as well. I installed a K&N cold air intake right before it started getting cold weather and my fuel mileage dropped as well. I was getting about 11.5 mpg and now I am getting about 10 mpg. I have had my truck for a little over 3 years and installed a 8 inch lift with 38" tires at the time I bought it. I used to get about 15 mpg at the time before the lift and tires. Since the cold weather started this year I have noticed the drop off in fuel mileage. Have not noticed it in recent years

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What the heck is going on seems we have alot of trucks suddenly gettin a huge mpg drop. I jus started noticing a strong almost exhaust/diesel smell coming out of the vents with heat on blast. :confused: :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts