Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow for AAA and I came across a small business owner who really depends on his 08 f350 and he didn't know who to bring it to with out being railed by the dealer so i offered to drop the tank for him and replace his filters and what not. I'm just asking if I need to really look for something while do this. Had about 3 gallons of diesel and his 17 year old kid pit in 20$ of gas in the tank and his son drove it back 6 miles surprisingly and wouldn't restart when he got home. It does restart thoe, I checked just to make sure and immidietly shut It back off.

Were going to drop in some diesel 911 and a fresh tank of fuel with filters. I was told there are 2 fuel filters? I see 2 black tanks on top infront of the turbos I'm assuming the one on the right is the fuel filter? And were may my other one lay?

Thanks guys
steve

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I would not start it and make sure the entire fuel system is flushed, including the injectors. Gas can cause a run away diesel that can't be shut off.

You have a 2:1 ratio of gas verses diesel. Hopefully damage has't already been done.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Had that happen a few times at my company. They flushed the system. Pours a bunch of stanadyne in it and gave it hell.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
This happened to my dad (08 6.4). He drove it probably 15 miles and the truck shut down. Dealer towed it in, flushed out the fuel system, put new filters in it, no problems at all. He put about 10 gallons of gas before he realized that the green pump at the gas station he was at was not for diesel. :doh:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Something I fear greatly. I always get my own fuel so there's not much of a chance to mess up unless the wrong stuff is in the tanks..

When are they going to come up with a nozzle system so you absolutely can't put gas in a diesel and vice versa? Usually diesel is bigger snout so it won't fit in a gass fill tube but once in a while they have the smaller ones.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
I tow for AAA and I came across a small business owner who really depends on his 08 f350 and he didn't know who to bring it to with out being railed by the dealer so i offered to drop the tank for him and replace his filters and what not. I'm just asking if I need to really look for something while do this. Had about 3 gallons of diesel and his 17 year old kid pit in 20$ of gas in the tank and his son drove it back 6 miles surprisingly and wouldn't restart when he got home. It does restart thoe, I checked just to make sure and immidietly shut It back off.

Were going to drop in some diesel 911 and a fresh tank of fuel with filters. I was told there are 2 fuel filters? I see 2 black tanks on top infront of the turbos I'm assuming the one on the right is the fuel filter? And were may my other one lay?

Thanks guys
steve

Driver side frame rail on the pump...And the fuel bowl is the samller of the two on top of the engine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya this is why I just don't let anyone drive my 7.3 lol

were tearing into the truckbin about an hour or so, after we have the tank dry does the electric fuel prime when you turn the key before a start? Figure that's a good way to get the remainder out of the tank lines and suck it out of he filter housings

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
you should hear what a camero sounds like running on diesel...I knock, and it runs, but knocks hard. I bought some gas at a store because my wife puts 5 dollars in it every freakin' time!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway i put super in it...i thought. found out later from Ford(a buddy)that the fuel delivery guy put diesel in the super unleaded tank in the ground. oil company paid for everything. what a trip.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dang changing the fuel filter on the rail sucks! haha we ended up taking out the front drive shaft, but ran atf in the bowl and cleaned the lines and she started right up and ran like a champ. pulls nice, couldnt imagine one of these things with a chip. cant wait till i take a ride in my buddys when he does his!

·
<<< just like that......
810 Posts
dang changing the fuel filter on the rail sucks! haha we ended up taking out the front drive shaft, but ran atf in the bowl and cleaned the lines and she started right up and ran like a champ. pulls nice, couldnt imagine one of these things with a chip. cant wait till i take a ride in my buddys when he does his!
You removed the front driveshaft to change the primary fuel filter? Whatever works for you I guess man. I've never heard of anyone going to that kind of extreme with it though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I can see removing it if you dont have a big enough socket and extension. Using a filter wrench would blow with the drive shaft in. haha

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Go buy the Snap-On socket that fits both fuel filter lids and the oil filter lid for $28, and you'll have no problem removing those lids.

And remember to open the drain on the lower filter before you take the lid off. LOL

Dave

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we did open the valve, it was pretty niffty id say lol the swap went real smooth id say. just getting all the air out of the system took a good 5 mins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts