Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to the 38r but i was wanting to know how reliable they are and if anyone has had any surge issues, and is there any info or comparision on the new percision drop in turbo that black widow diesel is selling.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I am thinking about going to the 38r but i was wanting to know how reliable they are and if anyone has had any surge issues, and is there any info or comparision on the new percision drop in turbo that black widow diesel is selling.
Id stay away from black widow LOL

I know alot of guys on here love their 38r, and I know Tom S loves his 38r on his obs truck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would also stay away from black widow.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I've never ran a 38 but have never heard a bad thing about them! They are just a way better version of the stock turbo and they are more reliable than the stock turbo.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
But not if you buy it from Black Widow.

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Whats wrong with black widow diesel?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
They are just a way better version of the stock turbo and they are more reliable than the stock turbo.

True, they are a better-flowing design for higher-than-stock-horsepower applications. But until I see hundreds of thousands of them running in the 300-400K mile range, I wouldn't say more reliable.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
38R is a great all around turbo.. If you ever want to upgrade to a larger turbo, the 38R's seems to sell quickly too.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I've had mine on for about 30,000 miles with the occasional romp here and there and this turbo is sweet, period, IMO. See advatar..

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
No matter what you choose which I suggest a 38R please try to buy from one of this sites sponsors that support the site that supports your info needs.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I have had mine for hmmm about 30K miles or so and I beat on my truck. It is awesome, is loud if you like the sound of a turbo and spools so fast. You wont be disapointed with it. They will support up to 500HP so if your ever planning on doing future mods it will work with them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I got my 38R right around the time they first came out.
Dieselsite had a big sale on them...

I had it on my 550 for around 40k , then moved it onto the 450 I have now about 3 years ago...

I like it

·
Registered
417 Posts
hope you like it loud. almost has a whine to it then whistle like crazy i like it though 30k here. only problemi have had was the pipe plug in the center of the turbo started leaking 2 days after install put new sealant and torqued it down good to go

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
I just put mine on about 250 miles ago LOL but like all the others are saying, the whistle and whine is absolutely crazy. you can hear it start to wind up around 3-4 psi.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Some whine more than others and IIRC there is a option to get them where they are setup to be quiet. Many and if I had to guess, younger owners want and love the whine. Those with a few more years tend to only want to hear it when they stomp on it.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
What is the quiet set up?

·
Registered
561 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

·