Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had read a thread about being able to grease our front wheel bearings via the vacum line port. Since I have manuel hubs I had a black rubber plug on it. My front stub shafts seem to go too often. I was on the roads and had to do something. I took my Amsoil 2000 filled grease gun and put about 60 pumps into each port just holding it tight. Well I deliver new travel trailers. I've gone from 16.5-18 mpg empty to 20-22.45 EVERY single tank empty. It also feels free rolling where it would drag down apon backing out of throttle. I have put about 12,000 miles on it over the last two weeks and it is consistane. Towing is up about 1/2-1mpg same trailer. my truck has 420,200 miles now.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hand calculated? Either way, I haven't seen the thread talking about lubing like you're talking about and a quick search didn't lead me to anything easily identifiable as talking about that. Any chance you could like, cuz that would be something useful to know how to do.

·
Ford With Out Tax Money
334 Posts
i grease mine thought the abs hole works great.
i would think that the vacuum line might get plugged and hubs not works?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hand calculate virtually every tank. I fill er up till the neck is full takes.forever. I'm a trailer transporter so I rack up miles fast. Most weeks I put on 4-5k. Have manuel hubs so no issues there. But there are seals on each side of the uni-bearing, so pushing the grease into it will find it's way into the bearing. Should also lube the small stub axel bearing. Tomorroe I'll search for.the thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would love to get 20+ mpg. Right now I'm only getting 12-13. I'm willing to try anything reasonable to get better mpg. I just cleaned out my EBPS. Damn that thing was clogged bad.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad EBPV sensor tube will kill mileage. I'm now at 432,862 miles. I'm about to pull a 29'the Rubicon toy hauler 2400bound mi to Eugene,OR.

·
1,097 Posts
If you drove that long with that much drag from an unlubed front end, I'd recommend an inspection of the machinery.

·
1,097 Posts
If you gained 3 MPG just by reducing friction, you've got some damage in there somewhere. That's a heckuva lot of heat.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well duh, stub shafts are basically seized. Put enough grease to quiet noise from the front end. But I'm replacing outer stub shafts, needle bearings, and seals if they can't be saved. Fairly new seals. Bearings are still under warranty so I may replace them while it is apart. and the MPG gain is from high quality grease filling the needle bearing and uni-bearing. Stock they don't get much, and it wears away. It is basically like adding the $1500front aftermarket kit. The main thing with those kits are the ability to grease/pack the bearings.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG, Duck fans insane out there!!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part was xue to needle bearings for outer stubs shafts being shot I'm sure. But it has neen a consistant increase over the last 34k. I've got hundreds, if not over a thousand fuel receipts since starting to transport trailers. I hand calculate virtually every tank filling to the very top. No grease zerk needed for vacume port filling, just hold it against tube(port) and insert grease. It does get into uni-bearing as well, just not as well as removing ABS sensor. 5-15% fuel mileage increase for basically your time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts