Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 1996 f350 with a cummins/zf5 swap in it. Anyone have a truck with this swap? I just want to know if there is anything i should be looking for as a possible problem area.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well first off if it looks like a good or bad swap in general.

·
Whites Diesel Performance
388 Posts
^^X2 If it looks like a cheap thrown together swap they more then likely you won't be able to just jump in it and go anywhere. Look at the wiring. Most of the time when a customer brings us a Cummins swap in anything the wiring is so poorly put together its a surprise the truck didn't burst into flames when they hit the key lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll sell you a 91 cummins engine w/ harness

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said he used destroked swap parts, Does anyone make a plug and play harness for this swap? The Engine is a 95 p pump motor. it has head studs, fire rings,injection pump was rebuilt by schieds diesel performance, it is also set at 16.5 degrees of timing with 4k springs, 309 mack rack plug, 0 plate. southbend 3250 double disk clutch, .093 over sized fuel lines, electric fuel and electric fan.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds like he did a lot of stuff forsure..

Fire rings ( so I have been told ) are not the best for a daily driver as they dont really like the heat cycles.

As far as I know there is not plug and play harness, but the fuel shut off solenoid is 3 wires and assuming he ran stock coolant temp and oil pressure gauges, thats 2 more wires, if he ran a tach thats 2 more wires, and it depends on what he used for the alternator.. I used a ford so that was no extra wires.. If you use the dodge alternator, you have to wire in an external regulator, which I think is 4 wires. so it 7, possible 11 wires running to the engine..

What size injectors? what turbo setup?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea what kind of power im lookin at with these mods?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
as far as power it depends on what Dv's and holders are in the pump... if the pump was built by shieds they could have done anything with it from setting it at 300cc of fuel up to 800cc or whatever..... also the size of injector will restrict the power as well. If you could tell me what size injectors, turbo and what cc the pump is benched to i could probably give you a rough estimate of power....

right now with the info you gave it could be anywhere from 300 to 900 hp....

·
Registered
918 Posts
as far as power it depends on what Dv's and holders are in the pump... if the pump was built by shieds they could have done anything with it from setting it at 300cc of fuel up to 800cc or whatever..... also the size of injector will restrict the power as well. If you could tell me what size injectors, turbo and what cc the pump is benched to i could probably give you a rough estimate of power....

right now with the info you gave it could be anywhere from 300 to 900 hp....
Ya, I totally agree.. The CC on the pump, DVs, injectors and turbo setup will make a huge difference in power...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He told me its running stock injectors and turbo. and they rebuilt the pump back to stock. so prolly around 300?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
probly yes around 300 to the wheels. but there would absolutly be no reason to have fire rings if its got stock injectors and stock pump..... if it were me i would get it then swap out the sticks for some 5x14s, throw some 191 DV's in the pump and pull the plate out and tune it with the AFC. also would go with a nice 64/68/14 turbo from E.D.
that would put you right around 500 to 550 to the wheels and still get realy good mileage...and be only about 2500 dollars then you could sell the stock turbo for a few hundred to recoup a little cash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He was asking 10,500

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol thanks i just found that.

·
Registered