Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what i am supposed to drain monthly? i remeber the dealer mentioned it but never showed me what to do... said something about draining a separator.... help me guys!!

also on my pass side of dash where door wood shut, whats the fuel thing with a button? i may have to get a pic to show ya.. thanks for the help!

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
its on the left side frame rail there is a filter housing, and there is a plastic lever you have to turn to drain it, I usually only drain it when i change filters, the light will come on if you have water.

·
<---- sold
232 Posts
I think the lever is yellow on the pump on the rail and I also only drain mine when I change filters. The deal on the passengers side is a fuel shut off.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what happens if i push it? will it automatically reset? whats the point it it? seems like a passenger might push for chits and giggles and id be fueless.

·
Registered
96 Posts
that button on the passenger side is a reset button. if you crash into something i believe it trips. so you have to reset it to get her going again. i drain the seperator whenever i have the time or monthly. i keep it sprayed with wd40 because the little lever can become stiff. good luck and nice truck

·
Diesel Addict
86 Posts
Not Trying to hijack, but my water separator light kept comming on and so I drained it. Well I could get in my truck and go somewhere and the light would come on again so I would drain it again. It kept comming on so I change the filter and cleaned it out and it still comes on. Could this be the sensor?? If so where is it at and how hard is it to change???

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right on, thanks guys!\

my 7.3 light comes on alot, acts like the filter is clogged for just a second or 2 then its off and going strong....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The maintenance procedure is to drain monthly and Drain if the light comes on. Don't wait until the light. I use a empty water bottle so I can see if there is water and dirt in the fuel I drain out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread..I drained the water out of water seperator last night. Do you have to cycle the truck a few times and bleed the lines like you do If you replace the actual fuel filter itself? I forgot and just started the truck up after I rotated the yellow tab back. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
:whs:

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Not Trying to hijack, but my water separator light kept comming on and so I drained it. Well I could get in my truck and go somewhere and the light would come on again so I would drain it again. It kept comming on so I change the filter and cleaned it out and it still comes on. Could this be the sensor?? If so where is it at and how hard is it to change???
you need to run the fuel down as far as you can with out running it out. fill the truck up. go to the parts store and get something to displace water for diesels like seafoam etc., if it keeps doing it then change the sensor. also if the truck runs fine then it might be the sensor. FORD WILL NOT PAY FOR A WATER IN FUEL CONDITION. remember that. there has been several guys on here that took (towed ) it to the dealer for water and ford does not cover water in fuel.

26 Posts
I see a good many sensors that get gelled up sometimes you can pull the sensor out and clean it but to me it is better to change the sensor. It is on the filter housing and just pops out.It is the 2 wire sensor on the front side of the housing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts