Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Here's one for you gurus,

I have searched around a ton and have not found another post quite like this problem.

At first, both fuel tanks will read past full when filled up, then they slowly start to drop adequately until empty. From what I have calculated, they are somewhat accurate once they start to drop, as in I have not been stranded due to a false reading. At the empty line I am usually about 15-16 gallons until it clicks on the front tank and a little less on the back naturally. 19 front and 17 gallon in the rear. The front tank reads about a 1/4 inch past full when first filled up. The back reads about a 1/2 inch past full when first filled up. This leads me to believe there is additional resistance in the line somewhere or maybe just that the senders are on their way out.

Granted, every tank I have ever filled reads slightly past full when first filled up, but nothing like this.

Anyone have something similar? Most posts I have researched have a problem with being stuck past full or stuck on empty.

Thank you all in advance,

Matt

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
the fuel gauges in these trucks were never that accurate.
just be glad they do not show 1/4 or 1/2 full and actually be empty.
all my pre 99 trucks would show empty and still have 8-10 gallons in the tanks

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
Someone probably bent the float arm when changing the fuel pump.
Just keep track of mileage, and you will be fine

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Someone probably bent the float arm when changing the fuel pump.
Just keep track of mileage, and you will be fine
That would be kind of hard since the fuel pump on a OBS is mechanical in the valley of the engine.

But then anything is possible.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
That would be kind of hard since the fuel pump on a OBS is mechanical in the valley of the engine.

But then anything is possible.
I ment pick up, pump came out.
My 94 gas truck that the oil pump just went up on is occupying my mind

sent from my brandy newy flip phone that is so smart I have to keep calling mikey to figure it out, and doc is laughing, while turd is pooping in Tom's coffee

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
and here silly me thought it was the medical marajuana you were smoking that had your mind all cloudy.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
and here silly me thought it was the medical marajuana you were smoking that had your mind all cloudy.
No, I wont be getting a card here.
I don't, and wont smoke or eat that crap

Besides
You have to give up your cdl's, and all your guns to get the card

sent from my brandy newy flip phone that is so smart I have to keep calling mikey to figure it out, and doc is laughing, while turd is pooping in Tom's coffee

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am definitely grateful that they work as well as they do, though it seems like there ought to be a way to get it a little more accurate. It works good enough right now, but I would like to straighten it out completely before it gets worse as well as to familiarize myself with the system. Granted it is just a basic wiring resistance type setup I would like to learn as much as possible.

Where does everyone gauge go when they fill up? Ill have to take a picture and post it to show how absurdly full it becomes.

Thank you again

Merry Christmas

Matt

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Of the three OBS trucks that I have had none of them had great fuel senders.

But all of them were pretty much the same. The rear tank will come off of full within a block after filling it up but will give me 100 miles + once it hits empty. The front tank will go a long ways on full but when it hits the E on the gauge you better either switch to the rear tank or be close to a filling station.

I've driven my 96 for 22 years now and have learned what they do so I just live with it. Next year I might have to figure out a new system since I am thinking of pulling the tanks and replacing the pick up foot before I have problems with them.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
For the last 20 years my 92, I ran on the back tank first, because the gauge didnt work. Go 200 miles, then switch to front tank. When the front tank got to 1/4,you better look for a station, it ran out by 1/8
Then one day it was at 1/4, and sitting at a light, the light turned green, and there is no mistaking an IDI running out of fuel

Called my buddy, drug it off the road, he took me home, got the rollback, and took it home.

The front tank rusted out where the water comes down the back of the cab

Now 2 new tanks, 2 new hanging units, and the guage works sort of ok.

Back tank full goes right down.
Front stays on full a while.
Not sure where empty is, I fuel up at 1/4 on the front tank still

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
i got into the habit of just filling up when they hit empty, which was 10 gallons low on the 6 88 to 92 diesels.
after that, it was habit to always fill up at half tank on everything.
plus, when filling at half tank it is less of a shock on the wallet. $40 worth of gas on the 2014 truck is a whole lot better than $80

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the help guys. Looks like the general consensus is that they're pretty unreliable. The front tank doesn't read too terribly above the full but the back tank is a good inch above the full when filled up. Maybe I'll look into it one of these days. Could be a bad sender or corroded wiring maybe.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you for the lead on that company. I might have to send mine out, always trying to get this truck as close to perfect as possible. At some point, it is an old truck that goes down the road just fine though.

Thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts