Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought of leaving the stock fule system as is, running a airdog 2 with sump all new lines to the heads, then putting on some kind a y so that you could flip a lever to run the air dog or stock system?
That why if something happened you would have a back up?
This a good or bad idea?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of leaving the stock fule system as is, running a airdog 2 with sump all new lines to the heads, then putting on some kind a y so that you could flip a lever to run the air dog or stock system?
That why if something happened you would have a back up?
This a good or bad idea?
i might be mistaken, but i think someone here did that..IIR wanna say maybe rescue250?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
COME ON!!! If you gotta have a "Backup" fuel system for your fuel system.....you have bought the wrong fuel system to begin with....:pointlaugh:

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
I will admit that I have thought about that same question and it really isnt that hard to do but i have to agree with Extended Power on this. If you have to have a back up, then you have the wrong fuel pump in there.

I thought about doing this with either a FASS or AD pump being the main one but if they crapped out, I could just switch back to the stocker to get me home (since I hear about both taking a dump on their owners). Then I decided that I was F'd up and realized that if I needed to do that then those pumps were not what I needed for my truck. I havent heard about anyone who built/put a custom fuel system on their truck with an Aeromotive pump supplying, being stranded. I know they dont offer a lifetime warranty but if the pump doesnt break to begin with then why would you need the warranty?? See my point??

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Exactly.

I have tried the "150/180" from everyone knows who....and it failed on me twice before the third and final time.....which was when I was 1200 miles away from home...waited for the new motor to show up, and sold it.

Went back to my 'ol Aeromotive/DAHL 200, etc. Setup....never had any issues again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I still run a sump with that pump?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
My set-up isn't the Airdog 2, its the first generation Airdog 150. This is how mine is setup ran it with 190s WOT maybe dropped from 64 to 60psi, stock injectors barely moves. Also I have to add is mine has yet to fail after 3+ years, also my strock pump is 9yrs old its the orginal pump in my truck.

Sump Pump - Airdog 150 - Stock Pump - Fuel bowl. From the bowl to the front of the heads are larger lines. Off the Rear are 2 hardlines into a Y-block from there it goes to a regulator set at 65psi then return to stock pump.

Ill get pictures later

Lines off fuel bowl to front of the heads

Back of the heads to a Y-Block

Regulator after the Y-Block

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The Aeromotive Marine pump I am using pulled air when I had 1/4 tank of fuel or less, and that was with using a 3/4" drawtube.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I've had an fuel sump fed AD100 with OEM pump running with no issues to date.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
What is the micron rating on the filter? Also aren't the Dahl 200 units a bit pricey? Why couldn't one use these parts here in conjunction with the A1000 and some AN lines and a sump to tie it all together?

2 of these: Baldwin Filters FB1311 Fuel Filter Base, Base/Separator, FB1311

1 of these: Baldwin Filters BF1212 Fuel Filter, Spin-On/Separator

1 of these: Baldwin Filters BF614 Fuel Filter, Spin-On

I dont know a whole lot about aftermarket fuel systems but have heard that these can be used to make a fuel system.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Airdog 2 didn't last 5000 miles, had the unit replaced with a AD 100 and put a stock pump back on. Haven't had an problem since.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The volume and flowrate through the DAHL 200 with a 2 micron filter is better then the factory Ford filters, and enough to supply the Aeromotive pump.
The filter on the end of the pump is a 10 micron, and is there for if the pump ever craps out...which it never has in the 6+ years I have had it in use.
Fuel pressure set at 62.5 psi, and never drops...225's on a Race tune...whatever.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're someone like me who never gets below 1/2 tank there is no need for a sump.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Until the 1 time you do and then your stuck somewhere, that's why I got a 91 gallon tank in the bed, went camping one time and the truck used a 3/4 tank.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Extended Power, how long have you ran the Aeromotive pump for? Did you upgrade your inlet and did you run new wiring for it? I've had mine sitting in the garage for only about 5 years now. Also I have a Dahl 150 setup. Did you install your Dahl before or after you Aeromotive? And for my last question, how much noise do they make?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I first had my low pressure FASS feeding my stock pump with my casserly 190/75's and no issues with fuel pressure drop. I now have a sump with a 5/8 line from it feeding the FASS and a 5/8 line from the FASS to a fuelab pump, then 1/2 line from fuelab to Y-block, then 2 3/8 lines going into the front of the heads. regulated return after that. The fuelab pump is basicly the same design as the aeromotive pump.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Extended Power, how long have you ran the Aeromotive pump for? Did you upgrade your inlet and did you run new wiring for it? I've had mine sitting in the garage for only about 5 years now. Also I have a Dahl 150 setup. Did you install your Dahl before or after you Aeromotive? And for my last question, how much noise do they make?
How long? Over 5 years....prolly over 6 years.

Upgrade inlet? After sucking air while using a 3/4" draw tube, I changed to a sump style, and just use the fitting on top of the tank for a return now.

I use a Hellman sump, which goes to a DAHL 200 through a -12 Stainless steel braided line. I also use a full port ball valve on the inlet, and outlet of the DAHL for easy filter changes.
From the DAHL 200, it feeds the Aeromotive pump through more -12 braided line, the Aeromotive filter attaches directly to the pump.
From the filter, the -12 braided line goes to the front of the truck to a Russell "Y" block with 1/2" NPT ports, and a 1/8" npt port for the fuel pressure transducer. Then the braided line changes to -6 to the front of each head. (Which have been drilled and tapped to accept standard npt fittings. Out the backside of the heads in more -6 braided and fire sleeved line, which leads to the Aeromotive Marine HP regulator. From the regulator, it passes through a huge fuel cooler, then a check valve which keeps the system pressurized, and finally, back to the tank.

I have the pump and filter mounted on rubber feet. No noise at all.

As far as wiring, I use a relay with heavier wire to send the power to the pump motor, but I use the stock "pink" wire, for the signal to energize the relay.

This fuel system has never let me down...I have run it in -40*C ...all the way to +38*C weather, and never had any problems, or issues.

Something everyone should remember....your fuel is the cooling fluid of the pump, so the lower you run your tank of fuel with a regulated return fuel system.....the quicker the fuel becomes hotter and hotter. A fuel cooler is a great addition.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts