Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to order the ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit. But, i want to run a 2nd filter after the pump before the fuel bowl?

saw pictures of one guy that had that set up, before and after pump, but i cant find it :doh:

i can get the filter heads from work for 18 bucks, and CAT filters for around 11 so im wanting to do the water separator 10 micron before the pump, then the "advanced" after the pump 2 micron, before it goes on up to the fuel bow. (for now...)

anyone able to help or sponsor that sells a kit for what im dreaming of?

ps, please excuse the terrible grammar and spelling, this is the 3rd day in a row im off my rocker on cold meds trying to get unsick!

-Rob

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
10 micron is a little tight for a pre-pump filter. The pump pushes better than it pulls. Make it easy for it to pull. Im running a 200 mesh filter from Baldwin. The 200 mesh comes out to a 74 micron. Not as much restriction, just a little protection for the pump. My post pump filter is a 2 micron Baldwin (BF7633) filter.

Also, it depends somewhat on which pump you are gonna run.

And are you planning on running 3 fuel filters? Damn.
Pre Pump, Post Pump, Fuel Bowl Filter.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 micron is a little tight for a pre-pump filter. The pump pushes better than it pulls. Make it easy for it to pull. Im running a 200 mesh filter from Baldwin. The 200 mesh comes out to a 74 micron. Not as much restriction, just a little protection for the pump. My post pump filter is a 2 micron Baldwin (BF7633) filter.

Also, it depends somewhat on which pump you are gonna run.

And are you planning on running 3 fuel filters? Damn.
Pre Pump, Post Pump, Fuel Bowl Filter.
can you post a picture of how you have yours set up? diy'd?

fuel bowl will be lost eventually with a RR system installed, but till then yeah 3 filters LOL

yeah the the suction side needs to be a bit more free flowing then post pump, but CAT dont mess around with filtering... lol maybe ill run a Donaldson/fleetguard 15-20 for pre.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
can you post a picture of how you have yours set up? diy'd?

fuel bowl will be lost eventually with a RR system installed, but till then yeah 3 filters LOL

yeah the the suction side needs to be a bit more free flowing then post pump, but CAT dont mess around with filtering... lol maybe ill run a Donaldson/fleetguard 15-20 for pre.
I haven't taken any pictures yet.

5/8" pick-up tube, to 5/8" line all the way to the engine.

What threads will your bases have? 1"-14 or 1"-12?

What pump will you be running?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Normally water sep filters are suction side filters pre pump and the lower micro particle filters are pressure side post pump.

IMO its not the micro rating that you need to be concerned with causing pump strain but its flow rating. A 200 micron filter rated at only 5 gal per min is going to cause more strain than a 200 mic filter rated at 15 gal per min. As these are all tested and rated based on the SAE J905 standard the flow rate to psi should be standardized.

Given this I would say the smallest micron filter that has a higher flows rating than your usage or pump flow rating.

Make sure to check the flow rating standard as some are "gal per min (gpm)" and some are "gal per hour (gph)" even inside the same brand.

there are 2-30 mic water sep pre pump vacuum side filters that have plenty of flow capacity based on their specs.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you are going to be going to a filter pre and post pump I would lose the fuel bowl as its only taking up room at that point.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are going to be going to a filter pre and post pump I would lose the fuel bowl as its only taking up room at that point.
thats what im going to be doing in the future, with a RR system.

im going to be using CAT filters, so enough flow to run a C-15... should be enough to run mine.

i need more information on setting up the filter after the pump, using factory SD pump. in the future possibly a 2nd or another supporting pump :evil

main concern is having the pre and post filters set up, but i need help from someone that's done it before.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Here's a couple photos of a system I threw together like the rest of the fellows here.......

The only thing I had to fab was a mount for the pump and filters. Then plumb the system. Dennis @ ITP was very helpful in putting my system together as I used his fuel bowl delete and RR system and some other odds and ends.

I strongly suggest you give it a shot and build your own system.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Here is mine. I was limited room on my frame and this was the shortest I could come up with. The rust is taken care of now too. :doh:

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Go with the ITP bowl delete kit if you're doing filters on the frame rails. On my 99 truck, I mounted the filters on some brackets I built that would sandwich the frame rail right in front of the fuel tank.

It's alot like the brackets that are supplied with the Airdog kits. Fuel runs from the tank (ITP 5/8" in-tank kit) to the pre-filter mounted on the inside of the frame rail. Then up to the fuel pump, mounted in the stock location. From there it runs forward about 6" and through a hole in the frame and backwards to a post filter thats mounted right on the outside of the frame (same sandwich plate brakcet that holds the prefilter). Then from there the fuel lines run forward to the ITP bowl delete on the motor. Worked out perfect, especially for the small amount of space I had to work with under the truck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Aside for gravity, is there any reason AD or others couldnt be mounted on its side or even upside down? The reason I ask, the filters hang so low and I see them as having a potential accident off-roading and crushing them or mabey even knocking them off?

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Mine are nearly flush with the bottom of the frame. I would have to high side over a very large object to knock them off but even then they are protected by my side steps/cab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts