Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm working on building a new engine for my 97. i've already bough a 38r, SD IC, spider and plenums, bellowed up pipes and i'm going to get the international t444e water pump with filter the only thing i need to upgrade is the fuel system. My plan is to do away with the mechanical fuel pump and the stock fuel bowl and filter in the engine valley. My questions is what should i do for a pump, filter and regulator?

I have a 7.3L IDI fuel filter base for the 87-91's could i use this for a fuel filter or will this base and filter not flow enough or handel the fuel pressure? i'm kind of leaning towards using a SD pump with a single spin on filter.

as for the injectors i'll most likely be going with stage III 238's.

·
Registered
435 Posts
So i'm working on building a new engine for my 97. i've already bough a 38r, SD IC, spider and plenums, bellowed up pipes and i'm going to get the international t444e water pump with filter the only thing i need to upgrade is the fuel system. My plan is to do away with the mechanical fuel pump and the stock fuel bowl and filter in the engine valley. My questions is what should i do for a pump, filter and regulator?

I have a 7.3L IDI fuel filter base for the 87-91's could i use this for a fuel filter or will this base and filter not flow enough or handel the fuel pressure? i'm kind of leaning towards using a SD pump with a single spin on filter.

as for the injectors i'll most likely be going with stage III 238's.
TomS has a nice write up for a DIY electric fuel system, or you could get a kit from Beans or Dieselsite. I'm sure there are others too...

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
from what I understand .......in a thread on another forum they said it wasnt able to hold the psi. but I wouldnt use it since there are better options out there.

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
388 Posts
from my research as well is that you need two filters one pre-filter and one post filter in order to protect the electric pump....I guess the mechanical is more forgiving as to trash from tank pumping through it, so they only need one post pump....so if you buy one aftermarket base, and have to make a mount for it as well as the pump, you might as well buy two and make the mount for them all together up under the truck to de-clutter under the hood.

But thats just my opinion/plan (plus I already two wix bases, and a sd pump ;) )

Justin

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a little looking around and saw that a few people have used the stock fuel system off a 03+ 6.0. any thoughts on this? i like the fact that the fuel pump and pre-filter are one unit.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I did a little looking around and saw that a few people have used the stock fuel system off a 03+ 6.0. any thoughts on this? i like the fact that the fuel pump and pre-filter are one unit.
That is what im doing, but im putting another pre filter in as well to save the pump. they dont have a way to remove garbage before it gets to the pump all the 6.0 does is remove the air from the fuel

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what im doing, but im putting another pre filter in as well to save the pump. they dont have a way to remove garbage before it gets to the pump all the 6.0 does is remove the air from the fuel
When you have your put together you should take some pics and do a write-up on the swap i'd be very interested in seeing how one goes about doing this setup. i also have decided to go with stage ones, going with anything bigger just doesn't seem like a good idea for what the truck will be used for.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
When you have your put together you should take some pics and do a write-up on the swap i'd be very interested in seeing how one goes about doing this setup. i also have decided to go with stage ones, going with anything bigger just doesn't seem like a good idea for what the truck will be used for.
yeah i have stage ones right now but i can get you a link for the write up on this. My buddy Bill just did it a few months ago. he is running stage 2's with a h2e....

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i have stage ones right now but i can get you a link for the write up on this. My buddy Bill just did it a few months ago. he is running stage 2's with a h2e....
That would be awesome and a great help to me! I'm still learning about these powerstrokes even though i've had mine 3 years haha.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, So now its down to needing a fuel regulator. i'm trying to decide between Fuelab 51501-1 and a Areomotive 13114. the Fuelab is about $135 and the Areomotive is $200. both prices are off eBay so if anyone knows which is better and a cheeper place to get them let me know.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
That Fuelab 51501-1 is for carb applications. The 51502-1 is for EFI systems.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha good catch, my mistake! so which is better fuelab or areomotive?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
the most common regulator that I have seen used by those making their own e-fuel systems is the aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 which has dual feed -6(3/8") ports that uses -6 x -6 ORB fittings as well as having the same size port for the return. They are going for 135 + 12 bucks shipping on fleebay.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the most common regulator that I have seen used by those making their own e-fuel systems is the aeromotive 13109 A1000-6 which has dual feed -6(3/8") ports that uses -6 x -6 ORB fittings as well as having the same size port for the return. They are going for 135 + 12 bucks shipping on fleebay.
I just looked on fleebay and it says those are for gas and alcohol applications, will it still work for diesel?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Well that is the one most of the guys are using and I haven't heard of any problems as of yet. I would say that it is safe to use it. The only difference would be the diaphram inside the regulator. There is probably a different material that the "diesel" ones have inside them but they all seem to be shaped the same so maybe you could swap diaphrams.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts