Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a few threads about fuel sumps lately. Where are you truck guys putting yours? My truck isn't here so I can't see what a good location would be.

But this is about my van. I have the troublesome (de)laminated steel tank. I will be dropping the tank to install either a 5/8 pickup from itp or a sump. And since the tank will be out, I am going to shorten it to make room for a transfer in case I decide to convert to 4wd. And since it will be getting welded on....

this sump will fit. Competition Engineering 4041 - Competition Engineering Fuel Tank Sump Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I know the sump should be at the rear most lowest part of the tank. Where it will fit is the lowest, but it is right in the middle. Where the factory pick up is.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Regardless the tank will be getting sucked dry by a fuelab.

Thanks aggie, got the idea from you. Not selling any so I hope it's not a problem. :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Haha, no biggie, its flattering actually.

Our bracket is in the process of changing actually, as it isnt going ot fit on short beds in the same place. Hopefully after the Crandall race well have time to wrap it up.

On the other hand, we do have some sumps ready to roll if you guys want to compliment your fuel system with a really sharp supply.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, no biggie, its flattering actually.

Our bracket is in the process of changing actually, as it isnt going ot fit on short beds in the same place. Hopefully after the Crandall race well have time to wrap it up.

On the other hand, we do have some sumps ready to roll if you guys want to compliment your fuel system with a really sharp supply.
I'd be willing to bet you are not using a circular saw and a cordless drill to build yours!:pointlaugh: LOL

But back to the sump thing. I may just get another tank so I have time to play with it. 1998 1999 2000 2001 FORD ECONOLINE VAN GAS FUEL TANK:eBay Motors (item 260488074253 end time Nov-06-09 14:49:28 PST)

Not sure if these have the lining or not and I doubt it. But I can bend up my own sump to go further towards the back.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got another tank from the boneyard. Made a mock sump out of poster board for the rear of the tank. After staring at it for a while, why the hell cant I just weld a bung on the rear of the tank and no sump. There is some baffling around the stock pick up in the center of the tank that I could drill some big holes in to make sure the fuel will get back there. What benefit would welding in a 2-3" sump do????????????:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts