Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everybody I'm doing a project on an obs. I'm wanting to upgrade to 3/8 fuel line and keep both my tanks functioning. I don't want to sump them together. has anybody ever found or used a aftermarket tank selector valve with 3/8 ports? Or anything anybody has ever done to achieve this keeping their dual tanks? Also thought of running dual electric pumps with external relays using the power wires from the original selector valve to switch pumps and tanks. I appreciate any advice and opinions.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
But why?
Do you even know what size your stock line is?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock lines are 5/16. I'm going to need more fuel volume for the build I'm doing. I know a couple guys with their obs 7.3s that have sumped their tanks together and ran a 1/2 supply line to the new electric pump but I don't need that much. Which I did the same in my 7.3. I Was just hoping maybe somebody has gotten around doing that and keeping both tanks on an obs

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I remember Dave talking about the power level it takes before the stock selector valve starts being a restriction. Can't remember the number though.
There's lots of electric control valves out there, but not a lot that don't choke down internally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iirc it's over 450 or so. I've been looking for a different valve of sorts but I can't find one with 3/8 or any bigger than 5/16 for that matter. I had 250/200 injectors in mine i had to go with 1/2 feed to a fuelab pump then 3/8 to motor. But that was a super duty. I was hoping somebody has found a bigger selector valve that has worked, or something.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ah, I see.
There's also the option of manual ball valves. Lol
Some have mounted them next to the seat, or on the trans tunnel.

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
Ah, I see.
There's also the option of manual ball valves. Lol
Some have mounted them next to the seat, or on the trans tunnel.

Manual ball valves surely is the cheapest solution. The Parker marine valve is no longer made. Someone posted about another valve but the internals is maybe 7/16" in size max. For a 6 port valve the price was about $600. Have heard of no other option but maybe big semis may use a big selector valve. Have not explored this possibility.

Another possible option is to use the current selector valve for tank level indication/fuel return and a fuel pump for each tank with a check valve to prevent backflowing through the other pump into the opposite tank. Selecting fuel tanks would operate the fuel selector valve and have relays to turn on selected fuel tank pump.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I don't know on newer semis, but older ones were sumped together. Draws from one, returns to the other.
At least the couple I was around were like that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's kinda what i was thinking dave running 2 pumps on relays while using the original selector valve to switch tanks and motors. Semis are all pretty well sumped together at least mine are. Heck a 7/16 selector valve would be great who made those?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So wanted to give an update, allot of things came up and postponed my project. I did find a selector valve that will work with a little bit of wiring, but I thought it would be an option for anybody else that wanted to do what I did and keep both tanks functioning as they should. In 86 with the old ids's they used 3/8 fuel line supply and 5/16 return with the same sizes on the the selector valve. Thought I made out pretty good hope it helps someone out. Thanks everyone for advice and help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts