Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
College Student
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The drivers side of the transmission is constantly wet and seems to be fuel because it is pretty thin. Reaching behind the drivers head. it seems to be pretty wet. Would the fuel rail plug be the culprit for this? My fuel pressure gauge doesn't fluctuate and stays where I have it set. My rear diff nor under the truck isn't damp nor shows signs of a constant leak.

My CCV is also leaking again which is making everything back there very dirty as well.
On a side note, the meet point of the inter cooler pipe to the intake of the inter cooler boot is constantly oily. Would installing a CCV catch can or re-routing this solve the oil in intake problem?

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,150 Posts
I would start by cleaning the back of the drivers head (do this with the engine cold) with something to take away the fuel residue. In our shop we would use brake clean because it evaporates quickly, just don't have your face under it. Once dry, start the truck and watch to see if you can see what area gets wet first. Sometimes it helps to have a few dry disposable shop rags or paper towels to "dab" around with until you suddenly find moisture on the towel.

You should be able to see that plug on the rear of the head from underneath the truck. If it is stock, it is sealed by an o-ring, and if never replaced, that o-ring is quite old and could very well be leaking now. Wouldn't be all that hard to pull the plug and run to the store for a replacement o-ring (viton preferred) if that's where the fuel seems to be coming from.

If the fuel is coming from higher than the rail end plug (banjo bolt) on the rear of the head, it has to be coming from the pipe thread port where the drivers rear line is attached. At that point you have to look at the fitting in the head as well as the joint between the fitting and whatever type of hose or tube you have there.

Yes, a catch can could be very helpful. I'm doing just this on my 2000 project because I can't stand oily boots and tubes. I'm running 2 valve covers with factory breather assemblies so I've got CCV from both heads, tying them together into a single line to a catch can, and then running a line from the catch can back to the intake to maintain a vacuum in the CCV system. Can't say how well it works yet as I'm still waiting for the parts to get here, but should have it up and running in a week or so.

·
College Student
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned it up and now waiting.
The CCV vent reroute is one thing I've wanted to do for a while, I've just read bad stories about people touching it and then causing pressure buildup after they routed it wrong.

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,150 Posts
I've had several vented to atmosphere and never had an issue, just make sure the hoses can't kink or get plugged.

I'm doing this one back to the intake because it's required here, an because I hate the smell of it open to atmosphere. Same deal, make sure the hoses can't get kinked and any kind of catch can can't create a restriction and it should be fine.

·
College Student
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found that after cleaning it for a while, that it looks like it is coming from where the metal fuel line connects to the head right near there. I am tempted to pull it and reseal it with diesel rated sealant, or just replace that elbow.
Anyone know the specs or part number of this by chance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts