Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you convert {03 7.3 stock) to a two tank seperate system for w.v.o. do you allow the diesel pump to run continuous and return to tank or do you wire in a shut down switch and shut the stock pump off and let the w.v.o. pump do its thing?
I like the dino fuel alternative v3 but want to keep away from the circuit boards and make it a manual system as much as possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe the switch over to veggie also incorporates a switch over of fuel pump. No need to run the D2 pump if running veggie.

assuming you have two pumps, what type of pump are you using for the wvo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still in the process of figuring everything out. Looks like Dino Fuel V3. pump (raptor) and d.f.hardware up to the heads But dont want the electronics. Prefer to stay manual. Not saying anything wrong with their electronics just my personal preferance to keep it simple (manual switching). I'm the only driver.

·
Powered by Veetable oil!
66 Posts
Use a FASS HPFP for the VO.
Wire a 30A relay to a switch to control which fuel is being pumped/consumed.

FASS HPFP
FASS Adjustable Veggie Oil Lift Pump

Use the one with the 23A motor for best results.

·
Registered
223 Posts
DFA is selling a striped down V3 without all the automation, just get that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The D.F. simple vegistroke is what I will install. Manually switched and purge.
When you shut down the d2 pump and switch to veggie do you throw a c.e.l. for lack of fuel pressure on the stock side? If yes can this be defeated without permanent disabling or over riding the stock sensors?
Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
No, the truck does not know what fuel pressure is. Maybe a 6.0 but not a 7.3

·
SwellMel is Invisible
87 Posts
The V3 has a fuel pressure switch, if vegi pressure drops below, I think it's 65 psi, the system automatically switches the factory pump back on. The only way to tell is the green light goes out, so you know you are burning diesel then. It takes care of clogged filters, lack of oil supply, etc...

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
The downside of manually turning off your factory pump is this: if you're running veggie and take a turn (highway on ramp, for example), your veggie oil will migrate away from the fuel pick up. With the V3, the system senses an "out of veggie oil" condition and kicks the factory pump back on. If your factory fuel pump is off because you turned it off, you're sucking air into your fuel rails.

Worst case scenario its like running out of fuel: your truck shuts down, and you get to go through all the fun of getting it started again. Even more frustrating knowing that you have a bunch of fuel (both #2 and veggie) on board.

IIRC, the V2 kept the factory fuel pump running all the time on the 7.3 but the V3 incorporates the above mentioned pressure switches to shut the factory pump off and extend it's life.

I need to add that the DFA simple Vegistroke takes all this into consideration and won't allow it to happen.

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Out of curiosity... Does anyone have a link to more information about the simple vegistroke? I am interested in a manually switched valve and think a "simple vegistroke" might work... I poked around dfa's website and didn't see it...

Sam

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dino Fuel Alternatives | Product Detail

I would just buy the automated V3 and be done with it, so much easier. The system will pay itself off quick if you drive enough. I have over 50k on mine now and I would NEVER get anything but a V3 again, this system is awesome.

·
Savings?? what?
190 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts