Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fuel pump is whining but no fuel up to my bowl? Any ideas?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  nielsencc86 
#1 ·
Well my truck died in the middle of an intersection and started s[itterin and sputtering like it was running out of fuel. I got it towed home and after checking the pump on the frame rail I can hear it working. I put 10 gallons of diesel fuel in it to see if it was just out of fuel but it didn't help. I pulled the fuel filter off and I can not get the pump to push fuel into the bowl. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Pump, just because it whines doesn't mean it is pumping fuel. And since it is whining you know you're getting 12v to the pump. Pull the outbound fuel line off the pump have a buddy turn the key to ACC for a second, any fuel?

#3 ·
There is a check valve in the standpipe in the fuel bowl. It will not let the bowl fill up with fuel if the lid is removed.

#4 ·
I have tried the truck with it on and off several times so far. Every time I pull the filter there is still no fuel in the bowl leaving me to believe it is not filling up. I will pull the line after the pump and see what it is doing. Thanks so far.

#6 ·
Pump

#7 ·
my truck had the whining fuel pump three weeks ago
turned out the fuel screen in the pick-up tube of the fuel tank. It was totally clogged and now fuel is flowing through perfectly. Installed ITP hutch mod to catch any little bits that get past it next time. Fuel pump is operating perfectly!

#8 ·
That could be checked simply by pulling off the fuel supply line from the pump to the tank.

#9 ·
Well I checked the line after the pump and there was no fuel. I had the parts guy from napa send down a new unit because the pump is much easier to do then dropping the tank. It turns out it cured everything. I was a little surprised considering it was still whining when it was connected. Lifetime warranty now so I am happy. Thanks everyone for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.