Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty sure the fuel pump is bad. i was driving down the interstate the other night and the truck died on me just it was running out of fuel. i will crank over and act like it kinda wants to start but doesnt. pulled my fuel filter and the level in the bowl was extremely low. drained the bowl and turned it over again and got a tiny bit. also had someone turn it over while i looked in the bowl and didnt see any fuel entering it. seems like a fuel pump to me, jst wanted to run it buy. im not sure how the mech pumps are for failing. truck has just hit 272000 mi.

any info if someone has would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Sure sounds like the fuel pump is bad. If you got 272k out of the original pump (without it failing or leaking), you are fortunate! I've had them run fine, but only leak a bit and others sit and idle all day, but have the fuel pressure drop to zero under load. The usual method is to attach a liquid filled gauge to the shraeder valve on the FPR, with hose long enough to tape the gauge to the widshield and then see what happens when driving it. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i replaced the fuel pump and cant get it to start......after cranking it for a bit and then holding the pedal to the floor it sounded like it really wanted to start a couple times. does it take a bunch of cranking to purge the system? ive never ran it all the way out. gonna try and crank it some more and see what happens.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It shouldn't take more than a few cranks to get the fuel system "filled up". I suspect other problems, like a faulty tank selector valve, or cracked pickup tube, or...any kind of weird going-ons, like a kink/clog in a line...

If you've got a hand vacuum pump, try hooking it to the incoming fuel line and see if you can draw fuel up, that would eliminate any problems with tank or valve or lines.

·
Registered
797 Posts
oh, and holding the pedal to the floor won't help, this isn't a carburettor...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah lol I know that it doesn't have a carb...just anything to /make me feel better. But aftera lot of cranking later it "primed" and she is running good again. Guess it had an air lock or soething in the system.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
I got a used fuel pump I can sell ya if your interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts