Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump went out on me last Thursday, while trying to tow our 5er. I ended up dropping the trailer and having a friend take it the rest of the way. I managed to limp the truck home, but it started missing on one cylinder. AFAIK, I was only running on the low pressure side of the pump. I'm figuring that the lack of fuel may have killed one injector.

How can I run a KOEO buzz test? I'd like to figure out which one isn't working and replace it. Changing out all eight injectors is not in the budget right now and I really need my truck running.

Does anyone have a spare/extra 94.5+ stock injector lying around, that I could try?

Thanks!
Gary

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You probably more need to run a contribution test as the buzz test just looks at the electrical side of things. If you have to unplugging injectors one by one is a option.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably more need to run a contribution test as the buzz test just looks at the electrical side of things. If you have to unplugging injectors one by one is a option.
Thanks for the suggestion Tom.. Not trying to sound ignorant, but how would I go about running a contribution test? I've had my truck's 94.5 PCM flashed, to make it OBDII compliant, but have yet to find a scanner that will read it. I tried a Snap-on MT2500 scanner on it Saturday, but it wouldn't even read it.

Gary

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I am not sure on how to help you with the scan tool issue as I have not followed that closely enough to make sense of it. The other handy tool to have is a cut out box that lets you switch off indidual injectors. There are directions on how to make one in the library but that might not be an option with you on a time crunch. I guess would suggest pulling the valve covers and start unplugging injectors one at a time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other handy tool to have is a cut out box that lets you switch off indidual injectors. There are directions on how to make one in the library but that might not be an option with you on a time crunch. I guess would suggest pulling the valve covers and start unplugging injectors one at a time.

I must have not been looking for the right thing, since I could not find anything about a cut out box in the library. I guess I'll have to pull the valve covers.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you get your valve covers off,start it up and see if all the injectors are squirting oil.

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
Where you located? I have a Genesys that will work for your buzz/contribution test. I'm in FTW,TX

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get your valve covers off,start it up and see if all the injectors are squirting oil.

I'll be trying to tackle this later today. Where does the oil come out of the injector?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where you located? I have a Genesys that will work for your buzz/contribution test. I'm in FTW,TX
Man... I wish you were closer!

I live near Martinsburg, WV.. :(

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Start it up with the valve covers off, you will see where it comes out. There are little oil spouts on the inboard edge of the injectors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Start it up with the valve covers off, you will see where it comes out. There are little oil spouts on the inboard edge of the injectors.

Thanks for the info... I'll be tearing into this job this evening and can use all the info I can get..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the valve covers off.. Wasn't as hard as I've heard.

#1 and #2 don't spit out as much oil as the others and #7 doesn't spit out any at all.

What kind of a job is it, to swap out the #7 injector? I have a spare AA in the garage and could try just swapping. The A/C box looks like it'll be impossible to get the injector out..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which Genisys scanner do you have? I may be able to find one...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I managed to get the injector out, by first removing the solenoid. It was suggested to me, that I quickly swap the injectors. That way, I wouldn't have to suck the fuel/oil out of the cylinder. Since this was the #7 injector, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. I fabbed up a vacuum rig and sucked out as much as I could. I let the suction rig run, while I was preparing the replacement injector for installation. I then removed the GP and installed the injector. BTW: the GP I removed, was a Delphi... Time for some ZD11's!

While the GP was out, I unhooked the other UVC's. I then went to crank the engine over, so I could blow out any remaining fuel/oil. I only cranked it for a split-second and the noise this thing made, scared the crap out of me! :eek: I thought fur sure, that it had still hydro-locked on me. Even though the GP was out, it still made quite a racket. It was then, that I saw the mess that had been made. Evidently, I didn't suck the cylinder out long enough. There was oil and fuel EVERYWHERE!

I then tried cranking it again and everything sounded fine. I decided to hook everything back up and try starting it. The truck took a bit longer to start than it normally does, but it did start! :redspotdance: The truck idled perfectly and I decided to put everything back on the engine. On my test drive, the smoke was flying. The fuel and oil were all over the turbo, down pipe and right-side manifold. The smoke went away after about 4 miles and the test drive was a huge success!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!! :ford:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts