Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Slick"
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a purest ion about fuel pressure. I’m running 2 superduty pumps with my custom regulated system on my 94.5, the regulator I’m using is a fass fuel with 1/8” boost port. My fuel pressure at idol/easy driving stays right around 70psi, but when I stand on it the pressure will rise to 85-90 psi. I’m running rosewood 160/80 injectors. So I guess my question is, What fuel regulators are the rest of you running, and
how are your fuel pressures with 2 pumps. Thanks

·
"Slick"
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, my pumps are in series. What regulator are you using?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
1 pump will keep up with those injectors. Dual pumps should be ran parallel if you do run them. Like said above are you using the boost reference on the regulator? If so I’m hook it.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Ok, my pumps are in series.

You're pumps are plumbed wrong...

You want them in PARALLEL, i.e. both suction sides hooked together (sucking from tank); both discharge sides hooked together, pushing to the heads. The idea is to increase the VOLUME of fuel available (each pump moves "X" gallons per minute). The pressure regulator will limit the pressure to your set-point.

In series, you're not getting any GPM increase... maybe just the potential for pressure increase, but NO increase in volume.

Think of it like two D-cell batteries in a flashlight: Each one is 1.5 volts, and say, 2 amps capacity. When in series (end-to-end) you get 3 volts, but still only 2 amps. When in parallel (side-by-side), you only get the 1.5 volts, but now have 4 amps capacity.

Make sense?

BTW, I'm using an Aeromotive A1000 in my setup. No boost-sense line. Holds 65 psi, idle to full-load WOT.

~Al

·
"Slick"
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so would this be the correct way to plumb these fuel pumps? Also is there a reason why your not using the boost port on your fuel regulator?.... while we’re on the subject of the fuel system. where the fuel lines to into the back of the head, are there check valves right there? If so do you need them? My old steel lines need to be replaced, was just going to get the corect fittings with a barbed end to use rubber hose instead of the steel lines.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I can’t see the pic. But this is how it should go.

The boost reference is primarily for gas engines. It ramps up fuel pressure when you get boost to prevent a lean condition. The injectors are usually tuned to run at a fixed pressure and open up for “x” amount of time. You increase pressure you increase fuel delivery. With the 7.3 the fuel pressure doesn’t control the fuel delivery so no need to ramp it up.

You do not need to have those checks in the head as they are a restriction. You can drill them out or replace them. The threads in the head are 1/8” npt. Do not over tighten them or you can break off a chunk of the head and have to replace the whole head.

·
"Slick"
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sbluke. That picture is the exact same one I sent you. Well that answers all my questions. 🍻 cheers

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
i run 1 stock sd pump with 125k miles on it now. full force diesel 205/30% inj's and at 30 psi it holds 58 psi rock solid, 62 psi at idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts