Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 diesel. I recently installed a glowshift 0-100 electric fuel pressure gauge with a billet fuel pressure cap that was tapped for an 1/8 npt gauge.

My issue is this.

When I originally installed the gauge it read 50psi and when floored would drop down to 45. The next day and ever since the fuel pressure just stays at 42-43psi. I talked to doug and he thinks that the fuel filter might be pressed up right against the cap so to try and reseat the cap. I just ordered the adapter to get fuel pressure from the test port. I will reinstall the gauge there and see if the pressure is different.

I was looking threw the service records and 03/09 I had 3C3Z-9T517-AE installed under warranty. I had 42psi and they installed this kit and I had 47 psi then. The ford spec is above 45 psi is fine. My question is do you think I have fuel pressure issues. I have 100k on the truck on factory injectors. I was thinking about installing the blue spring but it appears I already have it. Do you guys think there is anythign wrong with my fuel pressure or my gauge is messed up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a gauge but I am moving it from the fuel filter cap to the fuel pressure test port.

Does anyone know if the fuel spring cap thing seal is reusable? Can I just add a bb and reseal it using the exsiting seal?

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Yes its reusable. Has a PIP gasket. May want to get a new one. Ford sells an upgraded FPR kit. May want to be carefull with the ole BB mod. There is a reason guys quit doing it.Thats an old mod. 80-90 psi isnt what you want though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but in 03/09 I had the upgraded spring installed. You think inless than two years it has shrunk a little bit and not as effective. I had 3C3Z-9T517-AE installed. I honestly dont want to mess with a bb I am hoping that my fuel filter is to close tot he filter cap and is limiting the amount of fuel going to the sensor. I will know when I move to the fuel test port. I just have to wait until that addapter comes in so I can move the sensor. I just dont see the need for an aftermarket fuel system on a stock injectored truck runnign a tow tune.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
May be a weak HFCM.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have an 06 diesel. I recently installed a glowshift 0-100 electric fuel pressure gauge with a billet fuel pressure cap that was tapped for an 1/8 npt gauge.

My issue is this.

When I originally installed the gauge it read 50psi and when floored would drop down to 45. The next day and ever since the fuel pressure just stays at 42-43psi. I talked to doug and he thinks that the fuel filter might be pressed up right against the cap so to try and reseat the cap. I just ordered the adapter to get fuel pressure from the test port. I will reinstall the gauge there and see if the pressure is different.

I was looking threw the service records and 03/09 I had 3C3Z-9T517-AE installed under warranty. I had 42psi and they installed this kit and I had 47 psi then. The ford spec is above 45 psi is fine. My question is do you think I have fuel pressure issues. I have 100k on the truck on factory injectors. I was thinking about installing the blue spring but it appears I already have it. Do you guys think there is anythign wrong with my fuel pressure or my gauge is messed up.
First of all i'm not a fan of getting the pressure from the cap:badidea: that is the reason they install a test port some will say it is the same, do it righr get the adapter 6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter and i see you are it get's the sender away from the heat and viberation and when it comes to gauges well you get what you pay for.
Mine before i installed the fuel pressure gauge i had 50 lbs at idle and 44 at WOT and that is to low, installed the kit now 62 idle and 58 WOT, low fuel pressure will kill injectors and over 70 lbs may blow injector o-rings.
You are going to install in the test port you will have to hit the edges (high spots) on a bench grinder or you may not get it in tight fit.
2 stroker

·
Registered
652 Posts
I see your spring number is different than mine wonder what the difference is yours AE mine AG and it could be a weak HFCM :whs:
2 stroker

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference is that one is a kit with the housing and mine was just the spring and orings. The HFCM is the fuel pump assembly right? anyway to test this. I ordered the test port addapter saturday I am just waiting for it to come in. I still am not rulling out the glow shift gauge being defective either. The rest of my gauges are autometer and I got the glowshift for 35 dollars shipped. For that price I could not pass it up. Its not liek the truck runs bad either. Seems to have plenty of power even top end wise.

I guess I will really have to wait and see when the test port adapter comes in. If it is still low I am going to attach a mechanical gauge to the port and see if that reads the same as the glowshift. Then after that I will ahve to decide whether to try a new spring out or the HFCM/fuel pump asembly.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Kilroy was here
128 Posts
I just came in from doing the banjo bolt mod as well as the "blue spring" mod. My pressure went from 48 psi at idle to 70 psi at idle. I haven't bled the air from the test port adapter yet, might drop it a little, and I haven't run it at WOT yet either.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just left work and its 18 degrees out. I turn the key on to cycle the glow plugs. With the truck not running the fuel pressure was only at 20psi. When I started it stayed at 20 and slowly climbed to 42 when I started driving it. I am thinking its the sensor in the filter cap not getting enough fuel. Any ideals

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Your low pressure reading could also be from the lower filter being plugged. You may have a bad fuel pump,leaking regulator,or your guage may not show the correct reading.Test,verify,repair.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
both fuel filter were changed less than 1000 miles ago. I will let you know what I find when I switch to the test port. If still low I am going to install a mechanical gauge at the test port. I cant checked wot fuel pressure but I can check it ideling to compare against my glow shift gauge.

If all that crap fails I am probably going to either get another blue spring. I am savign the fuel pump assembly for last.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Mileage doesn't matter. If you got bad fuel you are plugged. Also it may be a bad guage reading or a bad fuel pump. Changing the fuel regulator spring to one that holds 100PSI will only show 20PSI if the fuel pump can only push 20PSI.

·
Aint Got Non
316 Posts
6.4 banjo's bolts W302472 / Washers W303659 paid 23 bucks for the two bolts.

Mise well do that if your gonna pull your FPR cap and make sure they DID install the blue spring.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I highly doubt its from bad fuel because I fill up at the same station every time. Its a very high volume station and nobody else seems to have issues. My test port adapter finally arrived after a week so this weekend I plan on moving the gauge from the top of the filter to the test port.. If it is still low I will install a new blue spring.

I do not plan on installing the banjo bolts because they are known to break off in the heads and I just dont want to mess with it honeslty.

Is there any test procedures to test the fuel pressure coming off the stock fuel pump if all else fails?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts