Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a glowshift FP gauge installed about 2 1/2 years ago. No problems till now. Not all ocations but at idle it shows 61 to 63 psi. When I accelerate the reading bounce upto 100 psi. when I let off. the readings bounce slower and slower (intervals) untill the engine returns to idle, and even then it sometimes will still bounce slower though.
Recently I changed my fuel filters and oil filter with OEM filter (always). I use Rotella T6 and PS for my diesel additive.
The truck drives greal like always and there have been no differance in performance.
I am very anal about my truck. So having this looked at and corrected ASAP is important to me.
Any thoughts to what is causing this and corrective action I may take?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Sounds as if you have a combustion leak entering the fuel system past the injector copper washer and o-ring. Look up "fuel system bubble test". Just a guess but have any injectors been replaced lately or taken loose?

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Injectors have not been touched.

Update on my "FP gauge behaving badly". Well I order a new sender. Install it last night. Drove for about 15 min. all seems OK. Steady 64psi. This morning after starting the engine, it read 70psi, and after driving for about 10 minutes the jumping began. Jumping more often during acceleration the during idle. by the time I got home 30 min. later it had stopped and settled on 70psi.
Is there anything to check clean or replace?
I own then SGII and Autoengineuity scantool. Using these two tools is there something to check?
Both Fuel filter and oil filters have been replaced about 300 miles. All OEM.

Please suggest anything. I don't want this engine to develop into something worse.

I have no, none what so ever drivability issues at this time. The truck runs smooth and strong.

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
I have a glowshift FP gauge installed about 2 1/2 years ago. No problems till now. Not all ocations but at idle it shows 61 to 63 psi. When I accelerate the reading bounce upto 100 psi. when I let off. the readings bounce slower and slower (intervals) untill the engine returns to idle, and even then it sometimes will still bounce slower though.
Recently I changed my fuel filters and oil filter with OEM filter (always). I use Rotella T6 and PS for my diesel additive.
The truck drives greal like always and there have been no differance in performance.
I am very anal about my truck. So having this looked at and corrected ASAP is important to me.
Any thoughts to what is causing this and corrective action I may take?
I am assuming the gauge is fried and needs replaced.

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked. Mine does the calibration sweep and changes color.

Thanks for your input. I am still believing that the gauge is still fried.

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
Just checked. Mine does the calibration sweep and changes color.

Thanks for your input. I am still believing that the gauge is still fried.
There is a good chance yes.....mine started off with small gliches also then got progressively worse.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
did you use teflon tape on the fittings? my gauge was all jacked up so i took apart all the connections and found a bunch of balled up crap in the sender.

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did and I did clean up all the old teflon tape on all fittings.
Keep it going.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
look down inside the fittings. i "thought" i cleaned mine out too...

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaned it and put compressed air though all fittings from the fuel bowl to the sender.
I have heard about the bubble test has anyone instructions on how this is done?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If going up while hard on the pedal, still believe it to be a combustion leak!!!! If anything even with the best fuel system you should see a drop (be it ever so slight) while hard on the pedal!!!!!!!

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange. After yesterday cleaning out from the fuel bowl to the sender. This morning (about) 3 hours of city and high way driving. My FP gauge is reading 68-70psi. Without any bounce. Now another question is 70psi too high?

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Strange. After yesterday cleaning out from the fuel bowl to the sender. This morning (about) 3 hours of city and high way driving. My FP gauge is reading 68-70psi. Without any bounce. Now another question is 70psi too high?
you're welcome haha. 70 isn't terrible but I'd see if you can dial it back to about 65.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts