Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
If you just put a tube to the bottom of the tank,When you are on a low tank, and the truck parked at an angle, you may not have fuel feeding the tube. The catchan holds a little reserve of fuel. It is kind of a "just in case" device for when the fuel can not reach the fuel line when the tank level gets low.

Fuel tank sump mod - eliminates pick-up tube - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

If you just put a tube to the bottom of the tank,When you are on a low tank, and the truck parked at an angle, you may not have fuel feeding the tube. The catchan holds a little reserve of fuel. It is kind of a "just in case" device for when the fuel can not reach the fuel line when the tank level gets low.

Fuel tank sump mod - eliminates pick-up tube - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
What is a "catchan"?

I followed the link and noticed someone actually posted that installing a sump meant that fuel theives would have one less hole to drill to steal your fuel. If you have people drilling holes in your fuel tank to steal your fuel you really need to find somewhere else to live.

I did the fuel tank "mod" after I noticed my fuel pressure dropping dramatically when hard acceleration was applied, which was reported to be an injector killer. I read posts that recommended to remove the bed of my pickup truck to gain access to the fuel tank. Really? By myself?

Here's what I did...

My F-250 is a 4 wheel drive, so when I crawled under there I found a metal skid plate. After removing the four bolts, I moved it out of the way. I already knew I was going to remove the fuel tank, so it was as close to empty as I dared make it. Two metal straps held it in position, so after removing them, I lowered the tank with a cheap floor jack I already had. I then was able to remove the fuel lines, both supply and return with the cheap "quick connect" set I bought at Auto Zone for a few bucks. Once the tank was disconnected, I dropped it down and slid it out from under the truck. I then pulled the large round "plug" from the tank, and had all the access I needed. I cleaned the crap from the inside of the tank, drilled a hole in the bottom, installed the sump I bought, installed the Air Dog II that I had previously purchased, and reinstalled the tank after performing the "harpoon" mod, which was easy when the tank was on the floor of my garage. (I now fill up in record time with no waiting for the foam to settle)

I can now fill up my truck like I should have been able to from the factory, adjust my fuel pressure in less than a minute, and not worry about loosing pressure or a complete failure of the stock system as reported by other owners.

I started to not do this because everybody said you had to take the friggin bed off to get to the fuel tank. Total BS.

I would love to install a sump but my truck is a 2wd crew cab longbed lowered 3" up front and 5" in the rear. Just going over the right kind of speed bump I've had my fuel tank touch! I think I would tear out a sump.:doh:

Discussion starter · #26 ·
not real sure if i would need a sump or not but i may go ahead and do it, hoping for a set of head studs and 155's in the future

That's the one I put in. Even though some "expert" on a forum said it was crap. Funny, it has not leaked a drop of fuel for me and I drive a LOT of very rough roads.
Was it hard to put in ?
I am thinking maybe a x-mas present. LOL

No, it was very easy. Hardest part was getting the skid plate off.

OK, great.
Thanks for the info.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.