Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an old homelite xl chainsaw that was my grandpa's i tore it all down cleaned it up but im not sure of what ratio on the fuel mix i need if some one can help me out. thx

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome, thx

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got it started for a little bit, seams kinda cold natured but it hasnt ran in a long long time. im sure my neighbors love hearing a chainsawin my shop at midnight lol, ill mess with it more tomarrow. thanks.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
homelite saws mix @ 32:1 !!!
it could probly use some new diaphrams in the carb,the rebuild kits are usually 10-20$

·
Registered
745 Posts
homelite saws mix @ 32:1 !!!
it could probly use some new diaphrams in the carb,the rebuild kits are usually 10-20$
That is what i was thinking!!!!!;)

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
How old is it? On the old saws (30-40yrs) I will run 20:1.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Too much oil is better than to little. If it ain't smoking a little, add more oil.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know how old it is but some stuff i found online suggest its from 1972-78 maybe. it was kinda cool the hear it run for the short time it did. my grandpa was probably the last one to run it and he has been gone since 97.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it running all out now, runs great. here is a picture if anyone knows anything about how old it may be.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
start at 20:1 and don't less than 32:1 old 2 strokes required a lot more oil. also have a spare plug- if you are too rich you'll foul the plug, if you are to lean you'll rebuild it or throw it away

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
those xl homelites are perfect for limbing!my grandpapis got two of em,not sure exactly how old they are but i would think early-mid 80s??.ive got an old xl12 thats blue&white,thats a 70s model.that sucker dont even have a muffler its just got a louver over the exhaust port.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think i ended up 32:1 it smokes so i know its not lean but anyway thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey thats cool, thanks Cat.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
thats a great site cat,i guess my xl 12 was actually made in 67 or 68.and i never knew ford made a saw!

Attachments

·
Lurker...
553 Posts
Old saws require more oil?...really?...explain what's different about them that they need more oil please?

What's really changed over the years is the oil guys....the older saws used 20:1 because the oil wasn't that good...as oil quality increased over the years the recommended mixture became lighter on oil. 50:1 with a name-brand quality oil would be more than sufficient in that old dinosaur... The carb will need to be adjusted if you change your oil mixture too as was stated in a previous post....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts